(Aromatherapy and Essential Oil articles are listed at the bottom of this page, and on the Essential Oil Index)
Aromatherapy for Common Physical Ailments - by Liz Santher
Aromatherapy can be used to relieve the discomfort of a wide range of minor physical complaints including burns, colds, flu, sinus problems, cold sores, eczema, headache, indigestion, menopause, menstrual irregularities, muscle aches, nausea and toothaches. Diluted in healing carrier oil such as jojoba, essential oils can relieve the pain of minor burns. Just add a few drops of roman chamomile oil , geranium oil , lavender oil, neroli or peppermint oil to eight ounces of aloe vera to make your own healing salve. Of course if you are suffering from a serious third degree burn that exposes blisters, pus or red and raw bleeding skin you should immediately take yourself to a hospital!
Aromatherapy can also be used to ease the discomfort of suffering from colds and flu. Essential oils such as peppermint, eucalyptus, ginger, clove, juniper and rosemary can help relieve congestion. Warming oils such as clove, frankincense and pine can help relieve aches and pains. Diffusing lavender or eucalyptus through the air can help purify the sick room of any viruses as well as soothe sore sinuses. Mixing a few drops of geranium, lavender or tea tree oil in healing carrier oil such as jojoba can also help re moisturize dry cracked lips and heal annoying cold sores. Applied to the face the same oils can help clear up acne and blackheads.
If eczema is a problem then gently applying a couple of drops each of any combination of chamomile, geranium, lavender, neroli, patchouli or tea tree oil can help soothe the pain as well as reduce the angry red appearance of the skin. Aromatherapy has proved to be so effective at relieving headaches that there are now many commercial aromatherapy preparations on the market concocted especially for this purpose. Applying oils such as basil, eucalyptus, lavender, linden blossom or peppermint (in a commercial cream based mixture or prepared yourself in eight ounces of a carrier oil) is thought to be as effective as aspirin and anti- inflammatories at relieving a headache.
If nausea or indigestion is a problem you can try rubbing a blend of orange, ginger or peppermint oils (in a carrier oil) with a circular motion onto your stomach or you can put a few drops on your pulse points or a hanky and inhale whenever your tummy feels cranky.
If irregular periods or cramps are a problem the inhalation or application of the following oils may provide you with some relief: chamomile, clary sage, jasmine, lavender, neroli, rose, sandalwood, tangerine, ylang ylang and peppermint. Geranium is thought to be particularly soothing for women going through menopause as it can relieve hot flashes.
If you need an oil to relieve the discomfort of muscle aches and pains try rubbing a lotion made of arnica oil, almond oil or jojoba oil and a few drops of any of the following essential oils: balsam fir, clove, ginger, chamomile, peppermint or rosemary. One of the best kept secrets of aromatherapy is using a dab of clove oil to relieve a toothache. Apply the oil directly to the affected tooth and it will be numbed and disinfected until you have time to book that all-important appointment to the dentist!
About the Author
(c) 2005 Liz Santher - All Rights Reserved
Liz Santher is a aromatherapy enthusiast and freelance
Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Articles:
- What is Aromatherapy?
- What are Essential Oils?
- How to Use Essential Oils
- Essential Oil Chemistry
- Essential Oils for the Home Care Kit
- Essential Oils for Depression and Uplifting the Spirit
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil's History and Medicinal Effects
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Introduction I, the Basics
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Introduction II, Mind and Emotions
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Introduction III, Spiritual and Esoteric Applications
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oils for Emotional Wellbeing
- Essential Oils for Minor Ailments
- Antiviral Effects of Essential Oils
- Antibacterial Action of Essential Oils
- Healing the Skin with Essential Oils
- Helichrysum Essential Oil - One of Our Favorite Healers
- Essential Oils for Hair Growth and Preventing Hair Loss
- Aromatherapy, Essential Oils and Emotional Response
- Aromatherapy and You
- Understanding Aromatherapy and Essential Oils
- Essential Oil Recipes
- Essential Oil Spotlight - Tea Tree
- Essential Oil Spotlight - Ylang Ylang
- The Mystery of Frankincense
- The Wonder of Rose Oil
- Essential Oils for Spirit and Psychic Work
- Using Essential Oils To Reduce Workplace Stress
*The FDA has not evaluated the statements on this website. No claims are made as to any medicinal value of this oil. The information presented here is for educational purposes of traditional uses and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases.