The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
A best single oil for immune support? 

Post A best single oil for immune support?
I've successfully used blends to keep myself and my family cold-free all year long (like Ananda's Super Immune).

I was wondering if anyone had such success with a single oil? I was considering Benchmark Thyme, but not sure of it's anti-viral properties (though I''m convinced of it's anti-bacterial potency)...or perhaps Bay Laurel, because of its chemically complex nature, and its efficacy against SARS CoV. Any thoughts would bw welcome. Thanks!

ERay :ugeek:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:27 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: A best single oil for immune support?
Hmmm -- that's a tough one. Seeing how Benchmark Thyme has a profile similar to a combination of Thyme and Tea Tree, it is likely one of the best -- as is likely Bay Laurel, like you mentioned; it does have some research behind it as well.

Salvatore Battaglia mentions in the Complete Guide to Aromatherapy that Frankincense is the number one "immune modulating" oil. Meaning, I believe, that its sort of an adaptogen for the immune system, and the body/mind complex in general. It keeps us healthy overall, and the immune system is strengthened in this process.

Hyssop officinalis (not decumbens) is also a highly complex oil noted for immune support, though it does have safety concerns, and probably not an oil to be used all year 'round.

Blends like Super Immune may be the way to go, as they generally include anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal essential oils all in one formula. I'm interested if others have had success as well with a single oil keeping them well while those around them caught "whatever was going around"? This would be great information for those with a limited budget or collection of oils -- and how they used them as well: diffusing, topically, etc...Let us know!

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 pm
Site Admin

With a little further consideration, "Benchmark Thyme" may be "it". I've been in touch with the developer (remember it's a blend of 4 pure Thyme essential oils) who'd perfected this combination of oils from strains of Thymus zygis that effectively destroyed the MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) "superbug" bacteria. No other "single" oil has shown the efficacy that it does.

There's a lot of research on PubMed.Gov that indicates the antimicrobial oils also seem to enhance activity of the immune system - increasing phagocytosis, and some say they actually change electrical potential of cell walls to make it harder for each cell to be infected. Meaning that the destruction of the microbes should expected to be accompanied by increased immune-system function. Whether these are confirmed, this study does at least support the use of oils in general for immune-supportive actions: "Immune-modifying and antimicrobial effects of Eucalyptus oil and simple inhalation devices"

I hope this helps!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 am

Would this oil be good then for seasonal (fall) allergies? My daughter has a cough from what seems to be allergies. Would I just diffuse some daily? Can you suggest how often I should diffuse? Thanks!

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 am
Site Admin

Hmmm....allergies are an inflammatory reaction; she MAY do well with just Blue Gum Eucalyptus (some do) -- which you'd just diffuse, and there are other oils used specifically for reducing allergy symptoms through their more potent anti-inflammatory action. Blue Tansy and Blue Yarrow, are two, which could be blended with Eucalyptus in the diffuser (perhaps 1:10, Blue Tansy:Eucalyptus ratio) or blended with a carrier and massaged around her throat. Though the "blue" oils will leave the skin blue for a bit :)

Everyone reacts differently, so you'll have to experiment. I recommend diffusing the Eucalyptus, and the Eucalyptus + Blue Tansy and see if one or both work well for her. I have had a customer respond that her son did well when she diffused Eucalyptus; he had bronchial issues from allergies. I hadn't thought to recommend the Blue Tansy at the time, though it makes good sense.

Another route would be to try diffusing the Super Immune blend, as it will be anti-inflammatory as well, boosts immune system activity, and is designed to be very protective from airborne infectious agents.

I hope that's not too many choices! Let me know if you'd like help narrowing that down.

Cheers!
Eric

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks Eric! I think I'll try the immune oil as now everyone just seens to be fighting something more than just allergies. Hopefull that will cover all the bases.
:)

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:41 am

I would like to know how much lemon essential oil should be put in an 8 oz. glass of water to help alkalize the body and help with the immune support.
Harpcat

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 pm
Site Admin

Hi - The typical recommendation is 5 drops of essential oil per 8oz of water. What's important to recognize is that this is a detoxification agent, meant to stimulate the liver's release of bile (should be used first thing in the morning) - and detox throughout the day. It is not meant to be an alkalizer. For improved alkalinity, drink the juice with water - chew the seeds if they are organic, and also if organic, one can make a tea of the used peels and drink that as well - as alkaline minerals will be released into the water.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]