The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Meditation 

Post Meditation
I had a very interesting experience with Hyssop, recently.
I put 2 drops of Hyssop oil on the back of my neck (at the medulla oblongata region).
After 10 minutes, the cold, wet sensation of the oil began to spread until all my concentration rested at the back of my head.
It was a singularly odd feeling, which soon appeared to spread through the middle of my brain to my forehead, at which point I could no longer concentrate on anything but the sensation, and I felt compelled to sit down and meditate.
As the weird sensations began, I did worry that I may be having an adverse reaction to the Hyssop, which has been known to cause seizures (I do know Ananda carries a very safe version), but I admit that this was one of the best meditation sessions I have ever had.
LOL!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Meditation
That's intersting. I might have to try it. Would you actually call it a 'negative' reaction, or centering or calming or? We do carry both forms of common hyssop (officinalis and ct decumbens) as the officinalis is SUCH a potent antiviral -- but we do try to make folks aware that only small amounts should ever be used and for short periods of time. Thanks for sharing!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 pm

I would call the reaction "euphoric". It definitely heightened my concentration to new levels.
Honestly, I would never have thought of trying it, but, I was using a pendulum to help me choose an oil I could learn about, and that was the oil that came up.
The questions I asked were the following:
1. would it be beneficial to use this oil.
2. should I apply it topically.
3. on which part of my body should I put the oil.
4. how many drops should I use.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am
Site Admin

ARE you asking these questions? :?:

Really, I think the answer to all of them is what the effect you're looking for, and the actual one produced, personally.

Where you're venturing is such a personal aspect of aromatherapy, that all these questions are best answered through experimentation. My only concern is the ketone level in Hyssop; that it really should be reserved for anti-viral needs when nothing else works.

But the rest is really trial and error -- applications to the "third eye" and/or temples is common, though diffusing may produce a similar effect. Same with the amount used -- you really want to start at the low end, and work up until again, the effect you're seeking is achieved.

You may compare it to other oils' actions as well: Palo Santo, for example, has a lot of lore around it, and ours is gathered to have the greatest esoteric properties.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions...

Cheers!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]