The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
can essential oils be used as perfumes? 

Post can essential oils be used as perfumes?
I've always used them in a diffuser, but can EO be dabbed on the skin? Which ones should not be dabbed on the skin vs. which ones can? Maybe there would be an allergic reaction? I just tried some oregano dabbed on my skin tag. I kinda like the smell of it on me, it lasts a while like a perfume which is why I had to ask if EOs can be used as perfumes.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Post Re: can essential oils be used as perfumes?
Hi. In general, essential oils can be applied topically undiluted. Some can burn the skin, though, like Melissa and Thyme, so care needs to be taken whilst experimenting. Smaller amounts (a drop or two) are best to start with.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:14 am

Additionally a drop can be put on a bit of linen or cotton wool for example in a filigree locket.. in the 1800's nice women did not wear perfume on the skin, so they wore it on clothes or a hanky or in a locket or brooch. This also prevents breakdown of the oils by the skin.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Does anyone have any good EO perfume recipes? I want to stay away from the commercial perfumes and their chemicals, and create a few really nice EO perfumes of my own for personal use. Thanks in advance!

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 am

Look at the thread "Percents of top, middle, and base notes "

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]