The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Severe Depression and Anxiety Help Needed 

Post Severe Depression and Anxiety Help Needed
I am new to this board, but need some advice for my brother in law. He has had depression for over 20 years and has been on all kinds of drugs over that time. They work for a while, but then he develops a resistance to them and they stop working. He was recently in the hospital and now as severe anxiety as well.

I want to help him with essential oils and have done some research, but it appears he will need to blend a mixture since everything I have read only has certain essential oils to help his condition.

Based on my studies, it appears the oils would be Bergamot, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Neroli, Orange, Ylang-ylang and Rose (there are others, but these appear to be the main ones, and he can only afford so much).

If these are blended together, what mixture should he use, and if needed, what carrier oil should he use as well. For him putting the mixture on his skin is going to work best for him.

Thanks for any help on this.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Post Re: Severe Depression and Anxiety Help Needed
Based upon my experience, I would forego Jasmine, as its effects are somewhat similar to the much less costly Ylang Ylang. If you decide to use it, however, only one or two drops in the mixture would be enough.

I would also add Sandalwood to the blend, and jojoba would be a very good and relatively inexpensive carrier oil.

As for percentages, I would use 3 parts Bergamot, Clary Sage and Sweet Orange, 2 Ylang Ylang, Neroli and Rose, and 4 Sandalwood, with 3-5% total of essential oils. The blend can be adjusted according to your brother-in-law's response.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks, Merlin. So for 3% to 5%, what does that mean? I'm new to this, so need a little more explanation. How much jojoba oil?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:29 am

Decide upon what size bottle you are wanting to use. Then figure out 3-5% of that capacity for essential oils, and then calculate how much (in drops or milliliters) for each one. Then fill the rest of the bottle with jojoba.

The ananda website has info about how many drops of each essential oil in one ml and such.

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/weblog/ ... ntial-oils

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/measuri ... -oils.html

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 am

Ok, thanks.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]