The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Tools, methods, and some tips for blending 
Site Admin

Post Tools, methods, and some tips for blending
Some ideas on blending for different purposes and how best to achieve your goal.

Skin Care Blends

For skin care, particularly for the face, be sure to keep your total essential oil concentration below 5% maximum, 3% is probably better. There ARE a FEW oils you can use greater amounts of; these are mostly the CO2's from fruits: Sea Buckthorn, Rosehip, and Carrot Root, because even at high concentrations, they won't be irritating to the skin -- this is NOT the case with Frankincense CO2's (which are excellent anti-aging, anti-cancer skin care agents, but can be irritating at higher levels), German Chamomile CO2, because at over 1% it MAY become PRO-inflammatory (says one published therapist), and Calendula (again, it's effects are so strong that you only need tiny amounts -- the distiller recommends less than 1/2% in your blend).

It is generally best to start with an empty bottle of known size, add the essential oils, then estimate the amount of carriers to complete the formula. I'll use a one or two ounce bottle, add all the essential oils, then carefully add the carrier oils at approximate amounts (if a blend says 1/3rd each of Argan, Tamanu and Rosehip Seed as the base, getting close to 1/3rd each is really good enough!)

Natural Perfume or Aromatic Diffuser Blends

For Creating Blends for Natural Perfume, or one where you would like a particular aroma and you're creating it yourself:
  • Make a very small amount first, and write down how much of each oil you've added.
  • Wait a while before deciding on whether you like the aroma, and how you're going to adjust it. It's nearly impossible to keep smelling the same oils over and over while developing a blend and get a good idea of what the finished product will be like.
  • The blend will smell different after an hour or so (some more, some less). You're nose needs time to clear out so it can smell ALL the aspects of the blend again.
  • Some use a small bag of fresh coffee grounds, and inhale deeply from this to clear their aroma 'palate', so they can fully experience the next oil(s) right away. You should still allow blends to sit for a while because of the oils, not just your nose.
  • If you'll be wearing the blend, make sure you try it on your wrist, as it will smell different there than it will from the bottle.

If anyone else has any tips, please let us know!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:35 am

Post Re: Tools, methods, and some tips for blending
I agree with your comments regarding fragrance blends. It is vital that one wears a fragrance for at least 30 minutes in order for the fragrance to blend with your chemistry. Smelling a product from a bottle or placing it on paper is not going to be a true test of the fragrance. Another important factor to consider is the weather. Some fragrances are lighter and naturally work better in warmer weather (Spring or Summer), while other combinations, particularly spices and roots or balsams, are much more appealing to cooler climates. Finally, personal preference is the final deciding facto,r and there are as many opinions about fragrances as there are people in this lovely world! Having loved fragrances all my life, I am still as passionate as ever with the endless possibilities!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 am

I use a 2.0 - 2.5% (on my facial client blends) but I think it is up to the therapist - original poster is correct you should not use more than 5%. Also I am an obsessive measurer (have more tools than anyone should have).

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:17 am
Site Admin

Yes, AgeDog1 is certainly correct that about 2 - 2.5% concentration of essential oils in blends for skin care -- particularly for the face, is the way to go with most oils. There are just a few CO2 distilled oils that you can use a little more of if you like - in particular Sea Buckthorn, Carrot Root, and Rosehip (CO2 total, not seed oil carrier I mean) - which will not be irritating at slightly higher amounts. I find these oils still gentle on the skin even if I blend with 1% each, all in the same formula; the reason being is they contain higher amounts of the plant's total lipid soluble components -- ie. a little more "nutritive" essential fats than even other CO2 distillations such as Frankincense.

It's a good idea always to see how your skin reacts regardless. It's always easy to dilute a little more if you need to!

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]