The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Percents of top, middle, and base notes 

Post Percents of top, middle, and base notes
Ive been wanting to experiment with making some perfumes but want to get all the info I can first so I don't waste my oils. I've read some basic guidelines that say
30% top note
50% middle note
20% base

For some reason, I seem to be drawn to oils that are middle or base notes. Some of my favorite oils so far are vanilla, patchouli, cocoa, amber, sandalwood. Bergamot is middle to top and nice, but I don't want a citrus like aroma to over whelm the blend. I was in love with Geranium when I first got it, but i can only take it in subtle amounts.

Do you always need a top not to round out the aroma? What would be a good top note to mix with vanilla and patchouli? How about
10% bergamot
60% vanilla
30% patchouli

Would vanilla, cocoa, and patchouli work without a top note? Most department store perfumes give me a headache and most of the store bought lotions bother my sensitive skin. So, I'm pretty excited to create something. So far, not one EO had bothered my skin. The first thing I'd like to try is a very vanilla based scent. Any suggestions?

Also,I was wondering if you would consider selling samples of some of your blends. I would love to try some of the perfume, lotions, and aromas but don't want to buy a large size and not care for it.

Thanks!

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Post Re: Percents of top, middle, and base notes
Why not trust yourself, and your nose, and be willing to experiment? All these dicta relative to do this, do that, and so on are simply other people's experiences. Yours is what counts!

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 am

Post Re: Percents of top, middle, and base notes
I did try mixing just 1 drop each of patchouli and vanilla. It was actually a lovely scent until I put it on my skin. I'll keep trying.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]