The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Checking the dilution of a blend 

Post Checking the dilution of a blend
Hello all- I was wondering if I could get some assistance. I have made a really nice blend that is working for me, but I have this fear of using too much EO's in my blends. I am making a 4oz Salve. Here is what I have worked up.
20 drops Helichrysum
10 drops Frankincense
5 drops of Cypress
3 drops of Juniper
2 drops of peppermint

I have a condition called drop foot. This is where I have nerve damage that is possibly coming from my back. I am under a surgeons care right now who is willing to let me try the oils for a while. But I know that Helichrysum is a very powerful oil in nerve regeneration. My drop foot has caused me not to be able to use my foot but about 3%. I was not able to lift it upwards. I started using this blend about 3 weeks ago and I already have better use of my foot and the numbness is not as intense as it was. I use this salve on my lower back and following down the line of that nerve to my foot, 3 times a day.

If anybody could help me and check my blending of the oils, I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you
Lisa

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Post Re: Checking the dilution of a blend
I would say you have nothing to worry about, in terms of using too much essential oils. The helichrysum is not even .5 ml, frankincense less than .25 ml, and the others very small amounts, for 4 oz. (~120 ml) of salve.

If the blend and amounts are working for you, fantastic!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Merlin- Do you think I should up the amount of oils or maybe use a 2oz Salve? I am still learning my dilutions and sometimes get a little confused.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 am

If the current mixture is working, why change it? But the proportions you are using would work with 2 oz. of salve as well. In most cases with essential oils, you will not get better results with more.

For example, Schnaubelt recommends a 1% dilution of helichrysum to heal scars and lesions.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]