The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Hair Growth? (eyebrows too!) 

Post Hair Growth? (eyebrows too!)
I'm looking forward to make an oil blend to use as a weekly or bi-weekly hair treatment and I want something that makes my hair healthy, soft, very shiny (shine is quite important), but especially that stimulates hair growth. What do you recommend? Do you think could work on eyebrows too? Any recommendation for eyebrows hair?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:27 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Hair Growth? (eyebrows too!)
Have a look at our Healthy Hair blend on the Essential Oils Blends page -- this could be massaged into the scalp and left there for 20min to 1hr, then washed-out. The blend was primarily formulated to stimulate hair growth, and make the follicles happy.

We're currently developing a series of shampoos and conditioners, but it will likely be about the first of August until they're on the site.

A regular scalp massage with only virgin coconut oil may be very effective as well -- there seems to be a lot of research coming out about the positive properties of that oil for hair care.

Cheers!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I have been using Rosemary, Lavender, and Basil in Jojoba carrier oil with pretty good results. My wife is now hooked on it.

I also want to try the blend sold in this site. Sounds like it has all the right stuff in it.

tsp

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:10 pm

4 drops clary sage, 4 drops rosemary, 2 drops cedarwood, 2 drops ylang-ylang. Base is 1 ounce jojoba oil. Add oils first then the base. Roll gently to mix. Apply to scalp a few times per day for thinning hair on scalp.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm
Site Admin

Also see Tamanu oil -- because it stimulates new skin cell development, and is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial (both implicated in hair loss), regular massage with the oil may be effective. We'll use this, and add a little Helichryum (regenerative and increases blood flow) and Carrot Root (vitamin A compounds also stimulate new skin cell production).

With all this, we're really guessing that if it grows new skin, it's going to help revive follicles. :D

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am
hi there,
i read an article about hair growth and I want to share this hair growth recipe.

1 Ounce of carrier oil
8 drops of Myrtle
8 drops of Lavender
8 drops of Rosemary Verbenone
16 drops of Carrot Roots or Sea Buckthorn

hope it can help :)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 pm

If your eyebrows are missing the outer third it's usually a sign of hypothyroidism so that should be taken into account. I'd be really interested if any of these EO's actually stimulate regrowth of eyebrows, because to me it would indicate a positive effect on the thyroid gland.

anybody?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Post Re: ESSENTIAL OILS EFFECTING THE THYROID GLAND
Hi Alliswell,

I am very interested in learning more about the medicinal value of essential oil use, so I have recently purchased MANY books on the subject. The following is an excerpt from "Aromatherapy for Health Professionals" Third Edition, by Shirley Price and Len Price:

Quote:
ESSENTIAL OILS EFFECTING THE THYROID GLAND:

Alllium sativum (Garlic) - Thyroid Stimulant (Franchole & Penoel 2001 p. 349)

Onion (N-propyldisulphide) and Garlic (methy disulphide, allyl disulphide) - Inhibit Iodine Metabolism (rats) (Cowan et al 1967, Salji et al 1971)

Daucus Carota (Carrot Seed) - Helps the Pituitary Gland to Regulate the Production of Thyroxin

Commiphora myrrah (Myrrh) - Balances the production of Thyroxin. Rose (1992 p. 118) advises Myrrh be used in inhalation in the early morning to stimulate and regulate the thyroid.

Pinus silvestrus (Pine) - is a Thyroid Stimulant

Cymbopogon martinii (Palmarosa) - considered having a Normalizing Effect on the Thyroid Gland (Rose 1992 p. 122)

Picea mariana (Black Spruce) - is said to be Cortisone Like and Useful in Cases of Hyperthyroidism.

Sassafras - In rats, oral administration of safrole or sassafras oil gives rise to cellular changes in the adrenal, pituitary and thyroid glands; also the testes or ovaries (Abbot et all 1961).

Not referenced: many essential oils are said to have a tendency to normalize hormonal secretions by encouraging the endocrine glands naturally to work more efficiently. In my searches I have found these mentioned - artemisia, basil, cinnamon, clary sage, cumin, cypress, lavender, melissa, myrtle, pepper, mint, pine, thyme, valerian. Both Pimenta dioica (allspice) and eugenol are said to enhance trypsin activity and have larvicidal properties (Harkiss personal communications)

I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Sue

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:27 am
Site Admin

Hi,

For hair growth, in all places :) our Healthy Hair blend is formulated just for this. Apply 2x daily, just enough as can be absorbed by the area. Leave on as long as possible before washing out (if necessary).

Best,
Eric

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]