The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Help for Insomnia 

Post Help for Insomnia
My 6 year old has insomnia secondary to Sensory Processing Disorder. He has always had difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. At age 2 we started using melatonin. This helps him fall asleep, but there are still many nights that he wakes up and is unable to fall back to sleep for hours, if at all. We have tried Lavender, a doTERRA blend called Serenity and finally vetiver with Serenity. I am still at a loss and have run out of ideas. He is so tired when he can't sleep through the night and after a few nights of that he is just miserable. I also need to be careful of vasocontrictors due to Marfan Syndrome. What else can I try?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Help for Insomnia
Hi,

Well, Lavender is the 'go to' oil for insomnia, though there are others that have helped. Roman chamomile (choose our one from Hungary) is one, and Mandarin is another. Mandarin is noted as 'the children's remedy' in France, for its assistance in calming children.

It is important to note that when using these oils, lavender for example, that only a 'hint' of the aroma should be detectable. Too much can be stimulating. I've used just a drop or two on the pillow (or under), or on the bedspread. Another essential oil may help, and you may want to try these before moving to other measures. There are many natural, herbal remedies available which I've also used. 'Sound Sleep' from Gaia Herbs is one.

Hope this helps!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:58 am

I bought the new CBD oil x3 in hopes that it will help with my sleep issues. I'm starting out with 4 drops tonight to see if it helps. I'd take more but it's a bit pricy for me, so 4 is my max. I'm very sensitive anyway and usually start out with low doses on anything I try. I'll give it a couple days and post how it goes.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm

4 drops seemed to have the opposite reaction for me so I increased to 10 and next 15 drops. It has helped me to sleep longer in the morning the last 2 days. However, I'm breaking out in a rash and my eczema is worse. Seems unlikely I would be allergic to CBD oil (studies show it helps allergies and inflammation) and I've ingested hemp seed, oil and Frankincense before with no reaction so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm currently being treated for candida and an inflammatory condition from mold so I'm wondering if I'm having some type of type of die off reaction. Is CBD oil known to kill any pathogens like candida?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

Well, I think that would be unlikely. Possible, but unlikely...not so quickly, I wouldn't think at all. But perhaps stop the CBD for 3 days and see what happens...yet the blend can't be making things worse. I would think, in addition (if it WERE happening) a die-off reaction would be accompanied by anti-inflammatory action too. Liver cleansing is the big thing...you know you're body's not happy with something that's happening to it. No sugar, no wheat, etc etc...you know the drill :)

But bottom line, it just doesn't sound like you've used so much at all that it would be causing something so noticeable so quickly in terms of a negative response.

I hope this helps!
~Eric

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 am

For insomnia, lavender or cedar wood diffused work great! For an AMAZING night of sleep, 2 drops of clary sage under the tongue! Tastes nasty but works!!
A great candida cleanse is1 drop Oregano, 2 drops tea tree and 3-5 drops Lemon taken in a 00 size capsule. It is recommended to use it monthly by taking 1-3 a day for 10 days.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]