The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Oils for Itch relief? 

Post Oils for Itch relief?
So in the time that I've been meaning to post the above, I applied the blend I normally use as a face serum on to my mosquito bites. Interestingly, it's quelled the itching some! I'm not sure which individual or synergistic ingredients are providing the relief, but these are the ingredients in my face serum blend:

Base
Tamanu, Argan, Hazelnut

Essential Oils
Helichrysum, Sea Buckthorn, Lavendar, Rosemary

Please share your experience/thoughts on oils you use for anti-itch relief!

-ether

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

Post Re: Oils for Itch relief?
Wow -- I bet the Helichrysum, Lavender and Tamanu are really doing a lot. They're the one's I've always heard are anti-inflammatory and anti-itch from the one's you've listed. :P

I would also use peppermint (the "cooling" effect can take an itch away instantly), the Helichrysum "neat", and maybe German chamomile, but I don't think it would work as quickly.

Your blend seems especially nice for general skin care...how's it doing for your skin?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for your response, MelissaGinger. I started this blend as a face serum a week ago. I aim to keep detailed reports of my findings, so I'll make note of it here on the forum as well.

On the itch relief front, I have to report that I appplied this blend once this morning, and did not think about itchiness until late in the evening! So it seems as though one application provided relief for about ten hours. I'm about to apply dose #2 tonight - dose #3 tomorrow. We'll see what happens...

-ether

p.s. Relief was experienced almost instantly after application.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Marula oil is a gem for any kind of bites.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks, EarthlyReality. I'll be looking into Marula oil.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm
Site Admin

I recall now that Blue Tansy is a good one. Also helpful for allergies -- which makes sense. I just haven't figured out how to not look like a painted warrior with it rubbed all into my sinuses, but a well-respected aromatherapist suggested it, and it's readily available.... :D

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 pm

I am still very new at blending oils and such, but for bites I make a paste of baking soda and water then add a couple of drops of lavender oil. It feels a bit weird while the paste is drying but it usually works. My question is does anyone have any ideas on what to use on fire ant bites?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

I've always found a blend of equal parts lavender and tea tree works well.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]