The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Hormone Imbalance 

Post Hormone Imbalance
I'm just new to the wonderful healing world of essential oils. Currently my husband and I are mixing coriander, lemon and oregano in a capsule and taking it twice daily for diabetes. I was wondering if there is an oil or blend of oils which helps balance hormones (or to produce progesterone)?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am

Post Re: Hormone Imbalance
Hello Royboy2080,

In a lovely book called, Creative Menopause: illuminating women's health and spirituality, by Farida Sharan, MDMA, ND, MH,there are a variety of herbs and oils recommended for balancing hormones, and for producing progesterone. I encourage you to find her book, and perhaps research further on her websites: http://www.purehealth.com and http://www.flowerchildlove.com

Herbs for Balancing Hormones:
Alfalfa, Black Cohosh, Chasteberry, Cramp Bark, Dandelion Root (this is probably in your back yard), Dong Quai, False Unicorn, Fenugreek, Hops, Licorice, Liferoot, Motherwort, Nettles, Raspberry leaves, Red Clover Blossoms, Sage, Sarsaparilla, Saw Palmetto, Wild Yam Root, and Yarrow.

Progesterone Promoting Herbs:
Alfalfa, Chasteberry, Lady's Mantle, Pulsatilla, Sarsaparilla, Wild Yam Root, Yarrow.

Rosemary Gladstar, a world-renowned Master Herbalist , also wrote, Herbal Healing for Women and a variety of other books on the topic that will help you in your search for herbs, and will also explain how to use the herbs once you have them.

As far as essential oils are concerned, inThe Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, Valerie Ann Wormwood names the following as beneficial oils for the hormonal changes of menopause:
Clary Sage
Geranium
Jasmine
Rosewood
Nutmeg
Sage
Rose Maroc
Bergamot
Coriander
Red Thyme

Also, taking vitamins and Evening Primrose Oil can be very helpful to the body. The GLAs (gamma linolenic acid) in Evening Primrose Oil, and in Borage Oil, are essential fatty acids needed by the body to make prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are contained in all cells in the body, and are necessary to many body systems, including circulation, digestion, reproduction, and growth.

All the above essential oils and "carrier oils" of Evening Primrose, and Borage are available in various quantities on the website. The oils can either be crafted into body care products and absorbed through the skin, or can be taken internally.

I wish you the absolute best of luck in your search.

To your health,

Thanks for posting! Please let us know if we can help further.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]