The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Hempseed Oil, Extremely Rich In Essential Fatty Acids 
Site Admin

Post Hempseed Oil, Extremely Rich In Essential Fatty Acids
A VERY underutilized carrier oil is Hemp Seed. It has what is considered the "perfect" ration of omega 3, 6, and 9 fats for human health. It is thought that the balance of these fats found in hempseed oil reflect the optimal ratio for exceptional human health. It has a very smooth, light texture, and a lovely light-green color. It's really a great carrier for providing nutrients to the skin, and to the rest of the body.

These essential fats are readily absorbed by the skin, and provide it with this impressive array of nutrients, plus it has a higher omega-3 essential fatty acid content perhaps than any other carrier. It is excellent for all skin types, has a wonderful texture, and is really worth experimenting with for all your aromatherapy applications. The ONLY thing you should do with your hempseed oil is keep it in the 'fridge, as these omega-3 essential fats, which are so good for us, are very delicate, and should be cared for in this way. ALSO, adding 3-5 drops of Rosemary Antioxidant essential oil to each ounce of hempseed will prevent oxidation of these fats, so you needn't worry about its "shelf life".

As An Anti-Depressant

Plus, it's edible, and has been shown to actually act as an antidepressant - possibly because these essential fats are SO important for brain health. The correct ratio of these fatty acids allow the body to make just the right cell walls for each of your body's cells. Each of these essential fats have different length and shape "tails"...as an example, hydrogenated oils have perfectly straight tails, and if all the tails of the fats making up your cell walls are perfectly straight, they all pack together in such a way that allows no "fluidity" for all the other components of the cell wall to function in.

A good variety of essential fats makes the cell walls fluid, and provides an optimal environment for nutrients coming into the cells, and waste products moving out. Also, supplementation with 1-2 tablespoons per day of hempseed oil has been show to increase the rate of neuron development in the brain by about 3%. Interestingly, when hempseed AND virgin coconut were supplemented together, this number raised to about 6%!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Post Re: Hempseed Oil, Extremely Rich In Essential Fatty Acids
Hi! Is Ananda's pomegranet seed oil safe to take orally? If so, how much?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 am
Site Admin

Yes, absolutely. I haven't seen a recommended dosage for Pomegranate seed, but most oils are supplemented at 1tbs. per day. You probably couldn't overdose, even if it were all that you ate :)

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 am

Would this hempseed oil need to be refrigerated even if mixed with FCO? What happens to it if it's not kept cold?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 pm
Site Admin

FCO (fractionated coconut oil) would not prevent its oxidation over time. It will eventually go rancid...it would have an 'off' taste/smell. It does taste pretty unique in the first place, so hemp's natural flavor shouldn't be misjudged. I keep my bottle in the 'fridge...one could squeeze a few vitamin E capsules into the bottle to extend shelf life, but really, the best thing is to keep it refrigerated and use it regularly.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks, I'm guessing the oils I want to use with it would be OK in the fridge too. My thought was to use 50/50 hemp & FCO. I certainly don't want it to go rancid. Thanks for your reply.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]