The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
The Big 5 Carrier Oils for Beauty Care 
Site Admin

Post The Big 5 Carrier Oils for Beauty Care
For general beauty care, and primarily anti-aging, here's a list of the "Big 5" oils with researched therapeutic properties -- particularly for wrinkle reduction and smoothing of skin texture. The selection is just an opinion, but from our experience, these are excellent carrier oils for beauty care:

#1 Tamanu Nut: It's been the subject of MANY scientific investigations, showing it will heal wounds, stimulate skin cell growth, actually blocks UV rays, is anti-inflammatory, has antioxidant properties, and limits the development of skin tumors. It's also anti-viral, and can be used to treat herpes outbreaks too.

#2 Rosehip Seed: This was the first carrier oil to be the subject of controlled research, showing it both limited appearance of wrinkles and lines, and healed wounds. Its combination of essential fatty acids and phytonutrients is unique, and discussed by Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt in Advanced Aromatherapy as THE base oil for formulas to limit scar appearance (except when one is prone to acne).

#3 Borage Seed:
It contains the highest known amount of GLA, an essential fat missing in our diets, and the cause of many skin conditions. Simply using for beauty care, it is highly anti-inflammatory, and it is inflammation that is thought to be at the root of skin aging (along with oxidation -- they really go hand in hand).

#4 Virgin Coconut: While some find it a little heavy for their skin, it's worth experimenting by using it as only a small portion of your base. Like Tamanu, it is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial/anti-fungal/anti-viral (can help with skin "conditions") and deeply hydrating. It has been used for centuries for skin and hair care, considered to give both a healthy glow with regular use. It's unique in its content of caprylic acid, to which many health benefits have been attributed. It's also considered a beauty supplement, consumed on the order of 1-3 tbs per day.

#5 Hempseed: Completely underutilized as a carrier oil, it has a "perfect" balance of omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, and provides these nutrients to the skin directly. The omega-3's are anti-inflammatory, and, like coconut, can be consumed as a supplement -- an aside: One report noted that with regular supplementation of Coconut oil, the brain grew new cells at the rate of 3% per (now I can't remember "per" what - month? week?) and when combined with supplementation with Hempseed, this doubled to 6%!

And maybe right up there (but we're having trouble finding a large source :) is Pomegranate Seed Oil. With it's high level of punicic acid, it has many of the same properties as Tamanu oil (regenerative, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and protective). It can also be ingested -- where we're sure Tamanu can as well, we're just a little afraid of the taste ;)

Also, a runner-up: Argan Oil -- Argan MAY be an exceptional beauty care carrier, yet it does not as of yet have a lot of science to back it up. While it does have celebrity endorsement, and helps support indiginous communities in Morocco, we'd like to see some rigorous research before recommending it more strongly than the oils above.

You'll find several of these oils already blended in our Super Skin Care carrier oil blend, so you can simply add the essential oils of your choice to the formula, without having to buy each carrier. It's been a real hit, and hopefully -- should you give it a try -- is great for your skin as well.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:17 am

Post Re: The Big 5 Carrier Oils for Beauty Care
for my first blend specifically for a face serum, i used rosehip seed, evening primrose oil and kukui nut oil...1/3 each..i found it to feel just a lil tight on my skin..so i added a bit of jojoba and vitamin E for good measure..these were my base oils..i have been really happy with this blend!! planning to explore more in the way of skin and hair conditioning using blends of base and essential oils...

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: The Big 5 Carrier Oils for Beauty Care
Hi Lynne,

Yes, the fractionated is really good for 2 things: as a natural perfume base (it has no aroma) and as a massage oil base. However, all the therapeutic benefits of Coconut oil are ascribed to the whole oil - anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, to name a couple.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:28 am

Post Argan Oil For Natural Skin
Argan oil contains many antioxidants that promote good health. One good example of these antioxidants is Vitamin E. It works to make it easier for the skin to bind with water and it also fights free radicals that can potentially harm your system. The skin, in turn, becomes capable of holding more moisture to keep it elastic. The amazing fact is that this oil contains twice or even three times the amount of Vitamin E that olive oil does.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]