The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Lip Balm Oil Alternatives 

Post Lip Balm Oil Alternatives
I have been making a rather lovely lip balm with Rosa Rubiginosa oil, Hazelnut oil, Cocoa Butter, Beeswax and EOs to taste.
However, after giving out a number of samples to friends, I realized it would be a bad idea for nut-sensitive people to use this.
Does anyone have any oil preferences for lip balm that they can recommend?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Post Re: Lip Balm Oil Alternatives
I make my own lip balm too. My lip skin becomes too dry and cracked constantly so I make something thick and heavy. What I use is Cocoa and Shea Butters, Unfractionated Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond, Argan, Pomegranate and Rosehip Oils and a small amount of the Cacao CO2, which is absolutely lovely. You can avoid Almond and Coconut oils, but all the rest are particularly great, nourishing and repairing for lips, even without Almond and Coconut, and I've never heard about the rest being bad for people with nut allergies, but if you know, tell me because I give samples to my friends and family too! Also, Argan, Pomegranate and Rosehip are highly antioxidant and everything tastes amazing too!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:49 am

Argan and Pomegranate sound wonderful!
I haven't had anyone complain about allergies to products, yet, but I do know several people who have severe nut allergies, so I would rather steer clear altogether, if possible.
Do you combine the Shea and Cocoa butters or use them separately? I have heard that Shea can be grainy unless it is melted at a specific temperature.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm

You can try this recipe making lip balm from shea & cocoa butter:

4g beeswax
5g shea butter
3g cocoa butter
4g calendula infused olive oil
4g avocado oil
A few drops of vitamin E oil
5 drops of the essential oil of your choice

Melt everything together over low heat in a saucepan, or in a double boiler. Add the essential oil after everything has melted, just before pouring

Decant into 4 lip balm tubes and enjoy!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]