The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Post Surgery 

Post Post Surgery
My husband will be having surgery on a torn rotator cuff. He CAN'T do the traditional pain relievers because they are all opiate based. He has terrible reactions to them. So I've read lot's of different solutions from frankincense, tumeric, boswellia, etc. How do you determine what will work? Is it a trial and error type of thing? When I go to the page on this website for frankincense it doesn't mention anything about it helping with pain. Also, how do you know to take them internally or apply to skin or breathe it in? I'm new to this world so I appreciate any help in figuring out how to figure this out.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Post Surgery
Hi - Truly the best oil for the job is Helichrysum...It can be applied neat, and since the rotator-cuff area is generally relatively small, you won't need to apply a lot of this oil. It's a bit pricey, but truly worth it. I certainly use more of this oil on myself than any other in the store, from a variety of sports injuries and aches and pains. Helichrysum contains at least two very important components (and likely more)...'curcumines', like 'curcumin' - the extract of turmeric, which is highly regarded for its anti-inflammatory properties. Further, it is the only oil with 'Italidiones', constituents which signal cellular regeneration.

You can effectively 'stretch' the oil a bit by diluting 50:50 with any carrier oil...Fractionated Coconut is a great choice. What this will do is prevent the essential oil from evaporating into the air, and get more of it to soak-in, over a longer period.

Application can be made every 3 hours or so.

There are many other oils that are noted as anti-inflammatory, though this is the oil of choice for healing an injury. I recommend, too, the Corsican-type for this, as it has a higher italidione level.

Hope this helps!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]