The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
arthritis 

Post arthritis
I was wondering if there are any essential oil that are effective to help with arthritis discomfort. Also would the recommendation be the same for human or animal?
I am new to essential oils. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Thank you :)

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am

Post Re: arthritis
I use various EOs for arthritis in my hands. I'm a musician and it just annoys the daylights outta me when it hurts to play. SO! Eucalyptus Radiata is lovely, and Peppermint, too--either singly or together. I mix my own Thieve's Oil from equal parts of Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary, Clove Bud, and White Thyme essential oils, and dilute it with a carrier of Sweet Almond oil. This is my go-to immune support, and it's also a great pain rub. Lately my left thumb has been going bonkers when I play guitar and piano, so I've been going after it with Helichrysum either on its own or in Tamanu Oil for a carrier (Tamanu can help with arthritis for some folks). This one isn't immediate pain relief, but it's pretty quick. The best thing about it is that I'm getting healing from it! The anti-inflammatory ability of the Helichrysum kicks in right away, and then my thumb...just...gets better! I'm using this daily now, and it's definitely making all-round progress with the thumb. :mrgreen:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:08 am
I was recommended something called "Pan Away". It seems to help with arthritic pain in the knee. Don't know if it is a blend from another company or simply a standard blend.

Good luck!

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm
Site Admin

Post Super Strength Arthritis Blend
Hi All,

Pan Away is simply a brand name (and somewhat costly :) -- it is the same formula as our Super Soother; though really, for arthritis, a slightly different formula would be better. The healing effect comes from the Helichrysum, and pain relief primarily from the Helichrysum and Wintergreen (or Birch) -- and a little from the Peppermint and Clove's "cooling effect".

Helichrysum is truly effective, as it's anti-inflammatory, muscle-relaxing, regenerative, and increases blood flow all at the same time. Because of this combination, as noted in this thread, it seems to relieve pain almost instantly (we've had this reported to us again and again!) Wintergreen and Birch are both almost 100% liquid aspirin (methyl salicilate) -- and while ok to use when needed, they're not so healthy for our liver to deal with on a regular basis.

So, for arthritis, one is really trying to reduce inflammation as much as possible, and increase circulation in the area. Essential oils with scientific support for their anti-inflammatory activity are Ginger CO2, Frankincense CO2, and German Chamomile (steam or CO2 distilled -- though the CO2 is about 2x as effective).

With a little less data, there's also Plai essential oil. We've been finding good sucess by reducing the amount of Helichrysum in formulas, and replacing with Plai to make a more affordable, yet still highly effective blend. The one report noted for Plai done in a research environment noted significantly less pain after knee surgery with its use, and a significant reduction in the amount of pain medication necessary. Also, Turmeric essential oil should help increase blood flow to the area (though MUST be used in small amounts).

Carrier Oils: Several carrier oils are shown to reduce inflammation not just to the skin where they're applied, but to the joints and muscles below. Borage Seed is highly recommended, as well is Tamanu. Borage seed is reported in many places to help with arthritis all by itself, as the GLA fatty acid it contains is typically deficient in our diets, and when applied, will stop the formation of pro-inflammatory molecules. We have not seed reports of Tamanu oil for inflammation-reduction past the skin, or superficial wounds, but it doesn't mean they're not out there. Considering all the incredible things it's been researched TO do, it would not be surprising if it it helped in this way as well.

Example Recipe

For each one ounce of blend (that's 30 milliliters, and there are 35 drops of essential oil per ml) use the following essential oils:

1.5ml Helichrysum (up to 3ml if this is affordable)
1.5ml Plai
0.5ml Ginger CO2
0.5ml Frankincense CO
0.3ml German Chamomile CO2
0.3ml Turmeric CO2 (omit if you are using blood thinner drugs)

Then fill the bottle with your base oils: a 50:50 ratio of Borage Seed and Tamanu is recommended. If you like, you can try a stronger formula by putting in less carrier oil to start, and experiment.

While some of these oils are somewhat costly, making a large amount and storing it away may quite cost effective relative to other solutions.

This blend has been used by those with arthritis, and reports have been that they were "amazed" at how well it worked, and could also reduce or stop pain medication.

Please let us know if you have any questions on all this! Cheers and Thanks!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 pm
Site Admin

I would actually consider Plai over Cajeput...there's been a number of studies (small, but still) noting it's efficacy for pain relief. It too can be used like Helichrysum, at a 10% or so concentration (as it was in the research). I only say this because of the data; I know Batagglia notes Cajeput can be helpful with rheumatoid arthritis, and wouldn't want to keep you from using the most valuable ingredient. Yet with Plai coming from the same family as Ginger, I expect the anti-inflammatory potential may be pretty strong. If you do choose Cajeput, I would start with a lower concentration and work up, to see how your skin reacts. It's not noted as an oil to use "neat" or at high concentrations, but it also doesn't seem to have safety concerns associated with it in that respect (like cinnamon, for example)...

Hope this helps!
Eric

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm
Site Admin

Hi Merlin,

As we spoke, I do recommend trying it -- I also don't know if we'd discussed including Borage, Hemp and/or Tamanu as a carrier. The data indicates that Borage itself MAY be helpful, though it also implies it will need the addition of some other compounds to make it truly effective. There's always Birch for those days when nothing else is helping -- liquid aspirin on location -- though not recommended for regular, continual use, as the liver doesn't seem to care for lots of aspirin :)

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Eric

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey, all! Since I last posted back in July, I've added plai to my arsenal for arthritis, and it's working for me. I'll also use frankincense, and it's giving me some instant relief.

Eric, I *am* going to try borage seed oil mixed with tamanu. I've been considering getting some for a long time, and you've tipped the scales! :) Your recipe above is close to what I've been using for a while now--a mix of Helichrysum, Plai, Cape Chamomile. I will try your recipe soon; it looks great! Some birch might be a good secret weapon to add from time to time...my next order is growing! :lol:

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 pm
Site Admin

Thanks Prabhu for the note. In general, we try to avoid use of animal products when possible, and we believe their are acceptable substitutes for these oils.

For example, Borage Seed Oil has shown promise for relieve of arthritic symptoms, both when topically applied and ingested. We HIGHLY recommend using the oil in both these manners. While not tested, we expect relief to come from other high omega-3 containing oils such as Hemp Seed oil, particularly when mixed with another oil similar to the skin's own composition (as is Emu)...or with it's own innate anti-inflammatory properties - such as coconut oil. These two oils in combination also lend themselves to carrying anti-inflammatory essential oils such as german blue chamomile (at 1%), Frankincense CO2, wintergreen or birch (should one desire the inflammation reducing potential of methyl calicylate in these oils), and high concentrations of Helicrysum and Plai (10% may not be strong enough for some conditions, and it's always worth a try to move up to 50% of the total mixture).

I've personally been recovering from a broken ankle, with a steel plate holding the bone together. Walking now, significantly with the help of Helichrysum.

Point being, there are vegetable and nut carrier oils out their with anti-inflammatory components themselves, the we encourage our customers to try first before animal based ones - it's just good for the planet. :)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Eric and Ananda staff:

I really don't understand how many drops to put in:
"For each one ounce of blend (that's 30 milliliters, and there are 35 drops of essential oil per ml) use the following essential oils:

1.5ml Plai
0.5ml Ginger CO2
0.5ml Frankincense CO
0.3ml German Chamomile CO2"

Does that mean, say, 52 drops Helichrysum, 52 drops Plai, 17 Ginger, etc? :?

Thanks!

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:57 am

Hi. If you are using 35 drops per ml as the desired amount for each EO, then yes, 1.5ml = 52 drops, .5ml = 17 drops, etc. Measure out all of the EOs, and then add carrier oil(s) to fill the 30ml bottle.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am

Post Re: Super Strength Arthritis Blend
Ananda Staff wrote:
Hi All,

Example Recipe

For each one ounce of blend (that's 30 milliliters, and there are 35 drops of essential oil per ml) use the following essential oils:

1.5ml Plai
0.5ml Ginger CO2
0.5ml Frankincense CO
0.3ml German Chamomile CO2
0.3ml Turmeric CO2 (omit if you are using blood thinner drugs)

Then fill the bottle with your base oils: a 50:50 ratio of Borage Seed and Tamanu is recommended. If you like, you can try a stronger formula by putting in less carrier oil to start, and experiment.

While some of these oils are somewhat costly, making a large amount and storing it away may quite cost effective relative to other solutions.

This blend has been used by those with arthritis, and reports have been that they were "amazed" at how well it worked, and could also reduce or stop pain medication.

Please let us know if you have any questions on all this! Cheers and Thanks!

Is this the blend you would recommend for rheumatoid arthritis as well?

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

Kristi

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]