The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Helichrysum: About the Oil and Testimonials 
Site Admin

Post Helichrysum: About the Oil and Testimonials
Helichrysum essential oil is one of the most profoundly healing essential oils to the musculoskeletal system, meaning our joints, tendons and ligaments, as well as the skin. A recent new user of Ananda's Helichrysum had this to say about it:

"I must admit I was skeptical about those things, but having read the literature that you so kindly supplied, I decided to give it a try. I tried it first on my knee which had been giving me literally heck all day and in about five minutes I found I was walking without the pain. I put it down to mind over matter, so I tried it on my back, where i experience a stiffness whenever I bend over, even ever so slightly. I was told that I would experience this for a while until the muscles were completely healed. The stiffness went away. My wife was experiencing backaches from a pulled muscle obtained from bending over to clean the kitchen garbage bin. Without telling her about what I experienced, I told her to let me try something on her back, I rubbed it in - and hey presto - the stiffness went...I have become such a disciple that I have recommended it to others at work. I [also] recommended it this morning to someone in church who is suffering from back pains due to progressive degenerative disc problems."

Un-initiated users are often surprised at its efficacy. The reason the oil does so much is that it has a very complex chemistry (see: The Chemistry of Helichrysum), which has anti-inflammatory, regenerative, and muscle-relaxant properties.

Now, there are over 500 species of Helichrysum, and it is Helichrysum italicum which has this particular chemical makeup. The anti-inflammatory components are crucial to pain relief, as it is anti-inflammatory medicines and natural therapeutic products that address pain by reducing inflammation (ibuprofen and aspirin, for example). Inflammation reduction is known to speed the healing process, as this allows the flow of damaged or "waste" material "out", and healthy nutrients and materials "in".

A major part of the inflammation reduction from Helichrysum is considered to be an action of the curcuminoids in the oil -- Curcumin, an extract of the spice Turmeric, which has become a very popular dietary supplement for inflammation reduction throughout the body. In the oil form, these pass readily through the skin to the location of the pain or injury.

Helichrysum is also the only oil known to have specific types of ketones, called 'Italidiones', which stimulate regeneration of tissues. While other oils contain ketones, many of these are considered unsafe for long-term use, yet these in Helichrysum italicum are safe for regular application in high concentrations (Helichrysum can be used "neat", if desired -- at 100% concentration, undiluted in a carrier oil).

Helichrysum also contains "neryl acetate", a constituent considered to be a muscle and tissue relaxant, working at the cellular level. This can assist tight or stiff areas to loosen up, further speeding the healing process. The highest quality of this oil has neryl acetate levels of over 20%, and the oil carried by Ananda has a concentration of over 30%.

While the oil is somewhat costly, because it's distilled from the tiny yellow flowers of the plant -- which contain a relatively small amount of essential oil (meaning a lot of the flowers are needed to produce the essential oil, relative to other plants which naturally contain higher amounts of essential oil) it seems everyone who's tried it for their aches and pains, as well as skin healing, has found it effective. It can also be blended with other anti-inflammatory essential oils such as Ginger, Plai, and Frankincense, and used in a carrier oil which also has anti-inflammatory properties. This can reduce the total amount of Helichrysum needed for certain needs (particularly muscle and joint pain and stiffness).

So if you're looking for an oil that is almost certain to address challenging painful conditions, Helichrysum is certainly worth trying. An example recipe might be this:

For each one ounce of blend:
  • 10 - 20% Helichrysum (3 to 6 milliliters)
  • 1 ml Frankincense CO2
  • .5 ml Ginger CO2
  • 1 ml Plai
In Borage Seed oil and virgin Coconut oil (for inflammatory conditions of joints and muscles). If using the oil for skin healing, try 3 to 6ml's in Tamanu oil and Coconut oil, plus 1ml of Lavender.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Post Re: Helichrysum: About the Oil and Testimonials
I love you Helichrysum oil. I'm making an order today for a scar blend I'm about to try.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:01 pm
Site Admin

Good for you. We've had customers use Helichrysum essential oil "neat" for scarring, and use it in carriers at a variety of strengths. It seems it works almost any way it's used. One customer had, I believe, a liver transplant. He said he had scar tissue deep under the skin, and used Helichrysum daily for several months, and he told us it worked wonders for him.

These days, with the latest science, we're strongly recommending it be blended with Tamanu oil, which has been shown to actually have many of the same properties as Helichrysum -- regenerative, anti-inflammatory, etc. and with other oils that offer nutrients that Helichrysum do not.

High Concentrations of Helichrysum for Scar Prevention and Healing

I am a proponent of using a very high concentration of Helichrysum essential oil in blends for scars, as the application is on such a small area, the oil NEVER seems to irritate the skin, and the bottom line is that it is the Italidione ketones that are the regenerative component - there doesn't seem to be a reason to dilute it too much. HOWEVER, it may also be that Helichrysum may synergize with the molecular constituents in the other oils recommended in anti-scarring blends. Meaning that the Italidiones stimulate regeneration through one biochemical pathway, and (I am not sure what the constituent is in Tamanu that does this -- I don't think the scientists know yet!) may work through another pathway, speeding the process.

Further, using oils like Calendula CO2 with it is really probably a good idea -- Calendula has also been shown scientifically to speed wound healing, and again likely works through another biochemical pathway. Studies are mixed, but it seems effective for treatment of burns especially - and customers have told us they've used it straight from the bottle with excellent effects.

If I were using Helichrysum for scar prevention of a new wound, the blend would be 2 parts Tamanu, 2 parts Helichrysum and 1 part Calendula (which is actually already in a carrier called Fractionated Coconut Oil -- otherwise it's a solid paste), and dab on the tiniest amount needed to cover the wound 2x daily. This is really quite strong, and not meant for anything other than dabbing on a very localized area. Of course, one need always evaluate for themselves whether their skin is tolerating this well, or should it be further diluted in Tamanu, or Virgin Coconut.

For older scars, the addition of Sage is often recommended, as it is thought that its ketones -- which unlike those in Helichyrsum should NOT be used at high doses for long periods of time. Sage is said to "break up the scar tissue"; and to either or both of these formulas, Rosemary c.t. verbenone is an excellent addition, as it to has regenerative ketones. Believe it or not, so does Lavender, and ITS addition can prevent irritation. (Research has shown that Lavender oil actually seems to "deaden" nerve endings in the skin temporarily, acting as a mild pain reliever.)

So for older scars, where the blend will be used for a longer period,
the concentrations should be reduced a bit. For a one ounce blend, one could try a base of 50:50 Tamanu and Virgin Coconut (it has a lot of therapeutic healing properties as well), 20% Helichrysum, and 5% each Rosemary Verbenone, Sage, Sea Buckthorn and Lavender (any high-quality one will do, but in this case we recommend our Lavender Vera).

Always Listen To Your Body!

Again, this is really strong, but it's supposed to be applied only one or two drops at a time, only on the scar itself -- and again, one needs to judge for themselves if this is causing further irritation (it shouldn't -- it's not like detox where you feel worse before you feel better!). As in all of aromatherapy, listen and watch how your body, nose, and skin are reacting to the oils. If something seems unpleasant, it might be too much, or too strong, or just not the right oil for your situation. If it doesn't feel right, STOP! (Although I've never heard anyone say that about Helichrysum :) But in general, it's a good guideline, and probably the BEST guideline, as the interactions between the human body and the over 100 essential oils in use commonly are incredibly complex.

Best of luck with your healing!!!

The Ananda Apothecary Staff

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience with using Helichrysum for neuropathy?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi, all! I have a new Helichrysum story.

Last week, I fell down my kitchen stairs in the middle of the night. Duh. If I'd turned the lights on...well, I wouldn't have this great testimonial! So, I missed the bottom couple of steps and really banged my knee on a lug box when I went down. It was bad enough that I went into mild shock.

HOWEVER! I made sure that I got into my EOs before I curled up under the blankets. I put Highland Lavender on the broken skin, and Tamanu/Helichrysum/Blue Tansy all over the rest of the knee. Didn't take any aspirin. Guess what? No swelling, no undue pain, and only one barely visible bruise after about 4 days. WOOT!!! I reapplied my EOs and Tamanu twice a day for 4 or 5 days, and am down to once a day now. Yesterday, I had to go up and work on my ROOF, and now my knee is almost back to normal! Seems like the exercise did it good.

If I hadn't found Ananda and learned so much about this stuff, I'd still be hobbling around and whining right now. Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, and Tamanu are three of my staples, and have been for some time. This particular incident was the best test yet, and you can believe that I am telling EVERYBODY about it! I IZ A HAPPEEEE CAMPERRRR!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

EEK. Hang in there, kristi!!! The stuff you're getting should work well. I'm looking forward to hearing your results!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]