The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Sciatic Pain 

Post Sciatic Pain

I was wondering if anyone can possibly help me.

I have 2 herniated disks on my lower spine and a small tear that is resting on my sciatic nerve. As a result I have been experiencing excruciating pain down the back of right side of my leg all the way to my calf and sometimes the bottom of my foot. It doesn't help that I am standing for all 8 hrs or more at work.

I refused cortisone shots but I am currently going to PT 2x a week.

I also did some research and saw the Wintergreen oil along with a couple of other oils was recommended to use for my type of pain.

I have been using wintergreen, peppermint,ginger, geranium and lavender (sometimes I add german chamomile and marjoram) directly on my lower back and massaging each one into the area that hurts. I always start with wintergreen 3 drops on my lower back and massage it, then I mix another drop or 2 of the oil with almond oil carrrier and rub down the back of my right leg. I continue doing this with each oil.
This has helped greatly but I'm hoping that a recipe can be recommended so that I can make a mixture instead of using each of these oils separately.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Post Re: Sciatic Pain
Hi. You might try this blend, using either jojoba or fractionated coconut oil as a carrier.

German chamomile - 10%
Helichrysum - 10%
Cajeput - 25%
Spike lavender - 35%
Juniper berry - 20%

Total essential oils should be around 5-7%.

You can use the blend for gentle massaging when the pain is not so great, or combine the essential oils alone with a bit of milk (for dispersion) and place them in a bath.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Post Re: Sciatic Pain
oh dburger, I have a similar issue years go but was not diagnosed properly as yours was. However symptoms similar including the pain on the bottom of my feet when walked.. felt like an unanaesthetised dentist drill plus other agony and my ankle was pulled apart because of muscle spasm so it was 6" in diameter for a 10 months. Muscle spasms occurred elsewhere in my body and it was horrendous. I did get over it, kept mobile and stretched. Was in wheelchair etc now and then, and had a 5 month old babe, breastfeeding so no painkillers. You will recover.

Agree STRONGLY, NO cortisone, it kills mitochondria thus cells die... terrible stuff. I agree with Merlin's mix.
I wonder if you also have inflammation of the nerve. Rubbing over the lower back and the nerve plexus and painful areas sounds right. Getting onto this immediately sound right, do not delay as if inflammation builds up it gets worse in my experience.

Watch out for muscle spasms because of the stimulated upset nerves. Be very careful about twists or lifting, no high heels. NO getting down on the floor( getting up is very hard) or any action which will cause stress. Would be good if you had some relief from the long time standing, lying down for bit now and then and stretching out would be good. good luck. Thinking kind and loving thoughts at the torn discs etc can be helpful in releasing any emotional trauma located there.

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]