The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Diffusion Rate 

Post Diffusion Rate
I've got a timer....and well, I've got a background in chemistry. So I'll be having a lot of fun mixing oils and creating blends, but...

seeing as I'll have this running throughout the night, I'd like to ideally know the diffusion rate. I'm sure it may differ with some oils that are heavier or smaller, but a good idea would be nice. If I can put blends in measured by the mL, I can diffuse it at a certain rate, have it cleared by morning, and put in a new blend for the day time.

Ananda staff, what have you got for me?

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:46 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Diffusion Rate
Hi - Well, there are, as you know, many variables involved. Truly, you're simply going to have to experiment...really, no way of knowing how much of what oil diffusing for how many minutes over the course of the night will run dry by morning. As you know, what goes in the diffuser ends up in the air, but that's a really tough question...we need to hear from you!!!!

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:27 am

Post Re: Diffusion Rate
Yes, I'm pretty tempted to start running some tests. Various oils of exact amounts at constant speeds. I could measure viscosity and plot a graph of diffusion rate. Ideally I could calculate rate based on the graphs of various blends after all the individual oils have been plotted.

If Ananda would like to sponsor me I'd be more than happy to conduct some experiments.
I would need graduated pippettes, glass bottes, a viscometer, oils..... ;)

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]