The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
A blend for caring, mantaining and regenerating skin 

Post A blend for caring, mantaining and regenerating skin
I wanted to make a blend to erase some little scars and dark spots, but I'm still undecided because I want to make something really really simple because I don't want to overload my skin or it could be affected as I have combination skin, also, recently I got a really short pixie haircut and I'm showing my whole face now, so I can't have much skin problems haha.
There are so many options and so many benefits of those options that would be great use them all but I can't. Can you give me some blends ideas with no more than two carrier oils and two essential oils? Would be great a blend that I can keep using after healing my skin to care for it.

Thanks!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Post Re: A blend for caring, mantaining but regenerating skin
The best carrier oils for dark spots and acne would be evening primrose, rosehip seed, and hazelnut oils, which are anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, skin-firming, and astringent. We do have a Super Skin Care Blend, which integrates the five most nutritive oils, into which you can add any essential oil you like.

The best essential oils for combination skin are geranium and palmarosa, which have a balancing effect on the sebaceous glands. You could also use Neroli and Lavender, which both have astringent qualities.

One suggestion would be:

Hazelnut and Rosehip Seed oils, (2 oz. each)
Palmarosa and Lavender essential oils (10-15 drops each)

Smells delightful and soothing, and addresses your skin concerns so you can show off that cute haircut with great looking skin!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting! Please let us know if we can help further.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 am

I have combination skin and I have tried so many different commercial products that leave me with some small patches of dry flaking skin. I have tried several of the ANANDA Skincare blends and I must say --- I LOVE ANANDA PRODUCTS!!! I no longer use commercial skin care products since I've discovered these and they work so well. For the last few years I've been "fretting" over a moderately deep wrinkle between my eyebrows. After about 6 months of using ANANDA Skincare products on my face, that wrinkle is less pronounced and hardly noticeable. My favorites are the Heavenly Skin Serum, Bella Rosa & Milk and Honey. I am 50 years old and my skin looks great! I had a facial last month and the woman complimented me and asked me what products I use on my face.

I am so impressed by the quality and integrity of of ANANDA'S oils and their excellent customer service, I no longer buy EO's or carrier oils from any other source. I would highly recommend that you give one of the ANANDA Skincare blends a try. Or try the SUPER SKINCARE BASE in the carrier oils section and add the ingredients that best suit your complexion issues.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 pm

londonurie

First you need to have an Aromatherapy trained Esthetician to look at your skin and make an evaluation (usually consulatations are free). There is quite a bit to be considered before deciding on a specific blend as each individual skin is unique. :D

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:50 am

In the mean time it would not hurt at all to start appling Rose Hip Seed oil to your face after cleansing (both morning and night), it is a fabulous regenrative oil and you can do that while you are looking for an aromatherapist esthetician to evaluate your skin.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 am

To clarify..

Is it advisable to use the Rosehip seed oils on active acne?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 pm

@Julia: Thanks a lot fot the help! I've read great things about Palmarosa, but I never considered it and I don't know why! Now I know it would be a great choice.
@agedog1: I'm studying aromatherapy and I'm quite into the skincare and dermatology worlds, so much, that when I discovered all the ugly things behind the beauty world (and I'm not just talking about Parabens being carcinogens and all the cosmetics at the drugstore are toxic because that's just a myth) I decided to jump into the natural skincare world, so I believe I can make my own evaluations and save some money in case consultation is not free haha :)
@*ether*: For what I know, is not advisable to use Rosehip on active acne and very oily skin types, but I just have combination skin that doesn't breakout more than once a month, but I'm worried about my skin being oilier more than pimples, you know.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

There's SO much information coming out about Tamanu, it seems like it may be better than rosehip seed for regeneration. Kurt Schnaubelt talks about it like being a blend of essential and carrier oils in itself, and there's a study somewhere about how it healed wounds faster because it increased the rate of skin turnover. I use it almost daily, and my skin, which was showing some lines, sure seems smoother. Blend it with whatever other carrier oil you think is best for you if you think you'd do well with something else too. I like it with a little sea buckthorn, and rosemary verbenone essential oils. I think that's a really simple combination with a lot of good stuff going on at the same time.

Good luck!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 am

I decided after reading some posts to try an experiment. Last night I put a layer of Rosehip seed oil and Tamanu oil on my skin and a little Sea Buckthorn on my eye zone. This morning my skin looked great and hydrated. I'm excited to create my own blend with what I have available. Here is what I have and would love suggestions on how to blend any or all of these. I'm very new to aromatherapy but love Ananda oils.
Thank you!!

Tamanu
Rosehip seed
Sea Buckthorn
Calendula
Helichrysum
Wild Lavender
Rosemary Verbone
Geranium
Frankincense

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:59 am

I'm very new to all of this, but I've read that Frankincense helps with getting rid of dark spots (age spots, sun spots, etc). So I've been using it with tea tree, and lavendar on my face. Has anyone else heard this about Frankincense?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 pm
Site Admin

Hi Shazellediki,

Yes, Frankincense has a lot of research to back it up as well -- it's very important not to overdo it -- it can make the skin irritated in concentrations that are too high, and it's probably best to use a CO2 distillation, because it is more like the resin. YOU MUST use these oils you mentioned with a base oil, as it will do half the work!!! Tamanu, Rosehip, Coconut, Argan, Borage and Evening Primrose are good to look at :)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 am
hi there, try to check this out to find the essential oils you need for your natural beauty care.. :D

Essential Oil - HELICHRYSUM (Immortelle)

Botanical name: Helichrysum italicum
Common name: Helichrysum
Plant part: Flowers
Extraction method: Steam distilled
Note: Middle
Strength of aroma: Medium
Aromatic scent: Helichrysum has a powerful scent that can be described as a floral mint. It is both earthy and fresh.

Common uses: Helichrysum has traditionally been used for its skin healing properties. It has been known to be beneficial for scar tissue and sun damaged skin.

Caution: Non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitising. Avoid during pregnancy.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 pm
Site Admin

Harpcat, you've got a great collection of oils for beautiful skin.

Here's 3 ideas for blends with these oils. The numbers are for each 1 ounce total that you mix. If you wanted to make 2 ounces, simply double the number of drops.

For the Base, you can use equal parts of Tamanu and Rosehip, or up to 2/3rds Rosehip with 1/3rd Tamanu (this may be best, considering its therapeutic actions and its unique scent, AND all the essential oils you may blend).

As for the essential oils, if you want to blend all 7, you need to keep the concentration of each fairly low
-- the blend will work better at recommended concentrations (see notes about measuring essential oils here, and at the bottom of this page):

• 2% (22 drops) Sea Buckthorn (the CO2 is gentle, and similar enough to the Sea Buckthorn carrier oil that with this one you can use a little more)
  • .25% (3 drops) Calendula (the distiller notes this to be very effective, and the concentration should be low)
  • .75% (8 drops) Helichrysum
  • .75% (8 drops) Wild Lavender
  • .75% (8 drops) Rosemary Verbenone
  • .75% (8 drops) Geranium
  • .75% (8 drops) Frankincense

So that's about 5% essential oils (the Sea Buckthorn is more essential fatty acids and antioxidants, so is factored a bit differently). This is the high end of what you'd like a skin-care blend to contain in terms of essential oils.

You COULD, if you wanted, make 2 blends, one more soothing and anti-inflammatory, the other more regenerative.
Use one in the morning and one at night perhaps. There is some crossover, but certainly a different holistic action to each blend.

Soothing - use 1/4th to 1/5th Tamanu, the rest Rosehip seed (you might also consider Argan, Borage, Hemp, and/or Virgin Coconut):
  • 1% (11 drops) Sea Buckthorn
  • .25% (3 drops) Calendula (the distiller notes this to be very effective, and the concentration should be low)
  • 1% (11 drops) Wild Lavender
  • .25% (3 drops) Rosemary Verbenone
  • 1% (11 drops) Geranium

Regenerative
- here use the 50:50 Tamanu:Rosehip base (and would consider adding Virgin Coconut - or Pomegranate Seed - as a 3rd part)
  • 2% (22 drops) Sea Buckthorn (the CO2 is gentle, and similar enough to the Sea Buckthorn carrier oil that with this one you can use a little more)
  • 1% (11 drops) Helichrysum
  • .25% (3 drops) Wild Lavender
  • 1% (11 drops) Rosemary Verbenone
  • .75% (8 drops) Frankincense

About measuring:
The base oils you can "eyeball" if you know the size of the bottle you're mixing in. If you have to measure, there are 30 milliliters, or 2 tablespoons, in one ounce. While scientists talk about 20 drops in 1 milliliter, they are talking about water and probably a perfectly sized dropper. We've always found 33 to 36 drops of essential oil per milliliter, and believe it important to get the numbers right -- BECAUSE, if we used 20 drops per ml to figure out percentage concentrations, they actual amount of essential oil would be too high. There are some oils where knowledgeable therapists have said that while a little can be anti-inflammatory on your skin (for example), TOO much can be 'pro-inflammatory'.

So, if there are 30 milliliters in one ounce, 1 milliliter -- or about 33 drops -- is 3.3%. So 1% concentration of essential oil in each one ounce formula is about 11 drops.

ALSO, you'll eventually get a feel as to what works for you. A little less of this, a little more of that...and do all the reading that you can...there are some wonderful books where you'll learn more about blending for skin care that will help you perfect your personal recipes.

Hope this helps!

I hope this helps! If you have questions, or anyone else further suggestions, please let us know :)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Oh wow ericcech!! Thank you for all that information...I'm going to blend something today. This is so fun! I will let you know how things turn out.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:03 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: A blend for caring, mantaining and regenerating skin
Hi Merlin,

The only things I would consider changing are MORE of the Carrot CO2 and Rosehip CO2. These are both oils one could apply 'neat' if one wanted to. More in the range of 2-5% for both, if you don't mind the red/orange 'tinge' they will leave your skin while they are absorbing.

Rosemary Verbenone OR Helichrysum, yes, there's no real need for both.

Cheers,
Eric

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 pm

I placed my first order from Ananda and one product I have coming is the Rosehip Total Essential Oil along with Fractionated Coconut Oil. I've heard it was so good for the face. Do I use this alone or can I add Helichrysum, Corsican to it, and if so how many drops would I add, and to how much of the Rosehip? My objective is to repair all the sun damage I have going on with my face. Maybe I should use something else - any and all suggestions for recipes would be greatly appreciated. I am a new user of essential oils and am trying to learn as much as I can. Actually going to a seminar next week called, "Healing from the Inside Out with Essential Oils". The only oil experience I have had so far is applying Lavender and Frankincense (layering), on a horrible burn from hot pasta water. After only a day and a half, the burn is healing and fading - Amazing!! Totally sold me on essential oils for sure. Would love to hear everyone's suggestions and if you could relate it to me in drops rather than % I might understand it more. Thanks!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Here is a blend I have been using regularly for almost two years that works very well.

100ml bottle
rose - 1ml
helichrysum - 1ml
german chamomile - .5ml (19 drops)
frankincense - .75ml (33 drops)
lavender - .25ml (12 drops)
sea buckthorn - 1ml
carrot seed - .5ml (21 drops)
rosehip CO2 - .5ml (13 drops)
rosemary verbenone - .5ml (23 drops)
carrot root - .5ml (17 drops)
then fill bottle with ananda's super skincare blend

It is much easier to use a pipette to measure the larger amounts than counting drops!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks Merlin - it looks like I will need to order a lot more stuff! I appreciate your response.
Oh, in the above recipe there are three items that do not have conversion to drops.
rose - 1ml (how many drops?)
helichrysum - 1ml (how many drops?) and
sea buckthorn - 1 ml (how many drops?)

Sorry but my math is horrid.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Number of drops vary from oil to oil. 1ml rose otto = 44 drops. i ml helichrysum = 44 drops.
1 ml sea buckthorn CO2 = 37 drops.

Here is a link to a table giving drops per ml, along with instructions:
http://www.anandaapothecary.com/measuri ... -oils.html

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next