The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Which Oils to use in skin care formulas for my face? 

Post Which Oils to use in skin care formulas for my face?
Hi! I have been looking into home made skin care recipes such as face wash, serums, moisturizers, toners, masks, and scrubs. Most of the recipes do not specify which carrier oils and essential oils to use - the recipes just say to use the carrier oils/essential oils of your choice. I have been researching which oils would be best for my skin issues but I am starting to get overwhelmed by all the information and am not sure what would be best.

I have extremely oily skin with blackheads and acne. My acne is not the typical red, cystic acne. I have raised, irregular shaped flat-top bumps which my dermatologist says is caused by sebum forming and pooling underneath the skin. She has me on a topical antibiotic/benzoyl peroxide cream and a very low percent retinoid cream - which has cleared up my skin to a certain extent. I also have raised, bumpy rings that are the size of a pencil eraser. My dermatologist says they are caused by clogged oil glands (not ducts) and there is not a treatment for them.

In addition to the above, I am 52 years old and want to deal with the signs of aging - fine lines, dark spots, uneven pigmentation, and scars from the acne.

Below is a list of some of the different skin care recipes that I would like to incorporate into a skin care regime.

Ideally I would love to have clear, smooth, glowing skin with even pigmentation.

Oil Cleansing: The recipe I am looking at calls for Castor oil and Olive oil. I have reservations about using olive oil on my face and I know that Ananda recommends using Grapeseed, Hazelnut, Coconut and Tamanu oils for acne care. In what proportions, and what other carrier oils and EOs should I use?

Castile Soap and Bentonite Clay Cleanser: Recipe calls for adding carrier oils and EOs of choice. What would be best?

Honey Face Wash: Recipe calls for raw honey to which EOs are added.

I think I would use the Honey Face wash in the mornings, the Soap and Clay cleanser at night and the oil cleansing a couple times each week.

Face Serum: What carrier oils and EOs would make a good serum for me? Can the serum double as a moisturizer?

Moisturizer: Would I need one?

Toner: I don't know if my skin would benefit from using one but the recipes I am looking at are vinegar based infusions with EOs added.

Scrubs, Masks: What carrier oils and EOs would be good to use?

Facial Steams: What essential oils would be good to add to the hot water?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]