The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Combonation Acne Prone Skin Formula? 

Post Combonation Acne Prone Skin Formula?
Hello,

Very new to aroma-medicine and trying to create a nice blend for my combination (only oily in T zone) and acne prone skin. After much research on several different sites this is what I'm going to start experimenting with... thoughts?

1 oz. jojoba/coconut cream blend
4 drops spike lavender
2 drops myrtle
3 drops frankincense
Maybe 3 drops rosewood

I will most likely start with just the jojoba/coconut and then add from there in the order listed depending on how my skin reacts.

Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:27 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Combonation Acne Prone Skin Formula?
Hi - sounds like a great start. My only suggestion would be to double the amount of essential oils. 3% is not a bad concentration to reach, and you're only at about 1% currently.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Eric

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi,
I was excited to recently receive my Ananda order! I have had so much fun researching skin care recipes to make. Although, I have learned a lot, I still have some questions that I was hoping you could help me with regarding the following 3 formulations for combo acne prone skin.

1st---Cleansing Oil
70% Hemp seed oil
30% Kukui nut oil

Since hemp is a fragile oil, especially at room temp, I was wondering what the best option would be to help stabilize this recipe:
(a) bottling small amounts for countertop use, while refrigerating the remaining or
(b) adding rosemary CO2 (how much?)

How long would the oil be good on countertop using either method?
Does rosemary CO2 have skin benefits? Is similar to rosemary verb.?
Any suggestions for improvement?

2nd---Healing Serum
Base: 60% Hemp
30% Kukui
5% Pomegranate
5% Tamanu

Added to base carrier oils a 5% concentration of the following essential oils:
1% Sea Buckthorn
1% Helichrysum
.75% Lavender
.75% Frankisence
.5% Palmarosa
.5% Thyme
.5% Vetiver, rosemary verb, or myrtle

Questions:
How long would this serum be stable at room temp since it has hemp in the base?
Do I need to add rosemary CO2?
Any suggestions for improvement?

3rd--Acne SPOT Treatment
50% castor oil
50% thyme/palmarosa blend

Any suggestions for improvement for active acne spots?
Does your staff have any favorite recipes for treating acne?

Thanks so much for your help!

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:23 am
Site Admin

Hello Hope,

First, a very impressive set of recipes you're using. They should prove quite effective for you.

To stabilize/preserve Hemp seed oil, one or two drops of Rosemary CO2 per ounce of carrier formula will be fine. It's a very effective, broad-spectrum antioxidant - different than any Rosemary essential oil. It will add this antioxidant property to your blends; while the essential oil is cleansing, toning and mildly stimulating, the CO2 - with very little aroma - is really a different 'animal' altogether with it's constituents.

I would choose the Rosemary Verbenone in your Healing Serum, for its regenerative ketones - 'healing' is what this will do.

As for your spot treatment, it too is excellent. I'm not sure if you're using the 'Benchmark' Thyme, but it's an excellent choice in this regard for your blend.

I would not suggest any changes...go with what you've created, use for two weeks or so and see how it feels. I'd also not be concerned about hemp's 'shelf life' if you're going through what you've made - and added Rosemary CO2 to - in one month or less. Yes, refrigerate any additional oil, and do add the CO2 to it now, rather than later.

Hope this helps!

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]