The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Essential Oils for Hair Growth 

Post Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Hi,

I have been considering using essential oils as a growth aid for my hair. I have been reading about different essential oils and carriers. I would like to fix my thinning hair, stop breakage/split ends, and most importantly grow my hair. I do have a mild case of alopecia, many split ends, a thinning hairline, and weak/brittle hair. I would like to create my own blend. Below is a list of oils and carriers that I think will work for me, but I would like another opinion/suggestion. Anything I should remove or add? Does the dilution % need to be changed? I plan to do scalp massages 3-5 day’s with a blend of these oils. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carrier Oils
Grape Seed (Napa Valley Dark Green) – 2oz
Jojoba – 2oz
Castor – 4oz
Tamanu Oil – 2 oz
(I have tried trued olive, avocado, and almond oil before, but I did not like them)

Essential Oils
Lavender – at 3%
Peppermint – at 3%
Rosemary Verbenone – at 3%
White Thyme – at 3%
Ylang Ylang – at 3%
Eucalyptus – at 3%
Geranium – at 3%
Carrot Root – at 2% (where can I buy this? cannot find anywhere. I can only find Carrot Seed and Carrot Oil but not Carrot ROOT)
Cedarwood – at 1%
Cypress – at 1%
Sage – at 1%

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 am

Post Re: Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Here is a description of ananda's carrot co2, which is distilled from the root.

Carrot oil is a CO2 extract of dried carrot root in Jojoba oil, making this wonderful distillation much easier to include in skin and hair care recipes. The oil does have a light, sweet and earthy aroma, though it is its actions when topically applied that are Carrot Root Oil's highlights. This bright orange oil is distilled from the root, and has different properties than Carrot Seed (the essential oil from the seed is often used for detoxification and regeneration of both skin and liver cells - these two oils can certainly be used in combination in your recipes).

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 am
Site Admin

Hi - Yes, 'Carrot' and 'Carrot Root' are the same.

As for carriers, good choices, though considering the skin-cell-growth enhancing aspects of Pomegranate Seed, and the somewhat 'acquired' aroma of Tamanu, I'd recommend 1oz Tamanu and 1oz Pomegranate. Virgin Coconut, too, is recommended for alopecia (and hair care) - you could replace some of your castor with this.

As for the essential oils - Your TOTAL concentration should not exceed 5%. More is not better....so you should calculate all these down to add up to a MAX of 5%. Research treating alopecia was done with an EO concentration within the 2-3% range. For hair regrowth, you're interested in: reducing inflammation, stimulating circulation, and stimulating regeneration. Perhaps review your list, and consider adding Helichrysum and/or Rosehip CO2...though your recipe is quite complete as it is.

Cheers!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Ananda Staff wrote:
Hi - Yes, 'Carrot' and 'Carrot Root' are the same.

As for carriers, good choices, though considering the skin-cell-growth enhancing aspects of Pomegranate Seed, and the somewhat 'acquired' aroma of Tamanu, I'd recommend 1oz Tamanu and 1oz Pomegranate. Virgin Coconut, too, is recommended for alopecia (and hair care) - you could replace some of your castor with this.

As for the essential oils - Your TOTAL concentration should not exceed 5%. More is not better....so you should calculate all these down to add up to a MAX of 5%. Research treating alopecia was done with an EO concentration within the 2-3% range. For hair regrowth, you're interested in: reducing inflammation, stimulating circulation, and stimulating regeneration. Perhaps review your list, and consider adding Helichrysum and/or Rosehip CO2...though your recipe is quite complete as it is.

Cheers!

Thank you. You said that I should use the Tamanu and Pomegranate oils as carrier oils to replace the castor oil. Should the castor oil not be used at all?

Also, for hair that is not regrowth what factors should one be most interested in?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:38 pm
Site Admin

Hi...

No, castor is fine...it's a bit thick and funky to work with, but blended with the other oils, should be fine. I can't say I have any knowledge of it being used on the scalp for one purpose or another - but that could just be a gap in my experience.

Jojoba and Coconut are the two most-frequently mentioned/utilized carrier oils for hydrating the hair/hair repair/luster, etc.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]