The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Home made baby wipes? 
Site Admin

Post Re: Home made baby wipes?
Hi Mika,

Sorry for the delayed response...Regarding the use of tea tree and lavender containing-products and their potentially estrogenic-effects...Here's a great commentary on the 'news' from Cropwatch: http://www.cropwatch.org/nlet4art1.htm

Among other things, an article notes about the study that an 'association' was found, not 'causation'. The oils have limited cross-over in their chemistry, and it would be difficult, as Cropwatch notes, to explain this result on any particular molecule within either or both of the oils. As the paper's abstract was not readily available on pubmed.gov, it's difficult to say as to whether these 'products' also shared basic other ingredients - likely in much larger quantity - as well.

So, bottom line, I don't think you'd be introducing any harmful substances to a newborn by using these oils. If, however, you'd like to choose another, my suggestion would be Thyme Linalool. BTW - virtually ALL oils show some sort of anti-microbial properties - tea tree and lavender are simply used together for the soothing effects of lavender + antimicrobial effects of Tea Tree.

I would be interested if you have a recipe? The challenge would be to get the oils' concentration down to say, 1%, in the liquid impregnated on the towelette. Probably a little carrier oil for softness, a little water, a little tween...sounds tough, unless you were to go into business making all natural ones ;)

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]