The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Several EOs in a serum, is it OK? 

Post Several EOs in a serum, is it OK?
I have been using the following EOs in a serum for few months with great results, total concenetration of EOs is less than 2%, most likely 1.5% or so:

1) Helichryrsum
2) Neroli
3) Rose Otto
4) Rosewood
5) Carrot Seed
6) Sea Buckthorn CO2
7) Sandalwood ( Australian)
8) German Chamomile
9) Frankincense
10) Rosehip CO2

I realize these ar lost of different oils, I was wondering if it is ok to use em all together?

Also, I am very very tempted to add Green Myrtle and Cistus EO in this blend as I read these 2 are good for skin firming. Please advise. Thank you

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Several EOs in a serum, is it OK?
After many years as an aromatherapy professional, I've never come across any literature stating TOO MANY oils can be a problem, only TOO MUCH, which it certainly sounds like you're doing fine with. The combination is really great -- something certainly I would use myself, perhaps skipping the neroli and rose otto as I'm just not a fan of the floral scents too much -- but these are excellent oils for skin care.

I'm not sure what you're using as a base - remember the carrier oils have therapeutic properties too, which you can select based on your skin's own nature.

Keep it up!

All the Best,
Eric

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 am

Thank you for your response Eric!

For my base I use my DIY serum, which contains other actives ( some botanical extracts, amino acids, and vitamins) and some oils, including Rosehip, Primrose, Pomegranate Seed oil. I may add Hazelnut oil as its has been mentioned lots.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Great! I was also worried about that if I added too many oils to my serum I would lose objectivity. I was limiting myself to 4 oils, 5 in some cases, but I'm still tempted to keep adding a few more to my night serum. Now I know is all about the amount.
I still have another doubt anyway, if I mix too many oils, 7 or 8 for example, there's any possiblity that one oil could be restraining the effects of the other one because there are too many, or if I just add a few drops, let's say 2, of each oil because I can't add more, might not be sufficient amount to release the benefits? Or when more oils I'm adding, I'm just enhancing the benefits of my serum? What do you think?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 pm
Site Admin

Hi Londonurie.

Through many years of education and application, I've never come across the mention of an oil restraining the effects of others. When you consider essential oil chemistry, you'll see that many oils contain some of the same constituents, albeit in different concentrations. If it WERE possible, it would be easy to do, and something that would have been "made public" at this point. I believe the only time you'll get this effect is through aromatic blending -- it's fairly easy to put 5 oils together and make "mud" -- something with an indistinguishable scent. But here you're attempting to treat your skin with a variety of molecules -- it's like taking a multivitamin -- you'll see 50 nutrients in their; and yes, while some may have the same uptake route, and won't be optimally absorbed at the same time, they don't cancel their effects.

And adding only a couple drops is just fine -- though at the same time, you might want to focus on what the blend is for. Some of the oils will be more effective for that purpose than others, and it may be valuable to have a day and nighttime formula. I'll use the oils that turn my skin orange from their antioxidant levels at night (w/oils like Sea Buckthorn, Rosehip total and Carrot Root), and lighter ones in the day (Helichrysum, Rosemary Verbenone, Neroli, etc.) So let me take that back -- I think splitting the blends so you are receiving enough of each oil's unique constituent (the ketones in Helichrysum and Rosemary V for example, or the carotenoids in Carrot Root, or similar compounds in Rosehip and Sea Buckthorn) it would be a bit of a shame to under utilize these.

I understand the motivation - ALL these oils sound like they'll do wonders for my skin, but 7 of them or 4 of them -- you won't see a difference. Narrow it down to what you need most, and don't double up on oils that do the same thing - choose one or the other. Helichyrsum OR rosemary verbenone, Sea Buckthorn OR Rosehip....this is the way you'll find most blending done - targeting rather than the shotgun approach :)

Cheers!
Eric

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 am
Site Admin

[quote="ericcech"]Hi Londonurie.

Through many years of education and application, I've never come across the mention of an oil restraining the effects of others. When you consider essential oil chemistry, you'll see that many oils contain some of the same constituents, albeit in different concentrations. If it WERE possible, it would be easy to do, and something that would have been "made public" at this point. I believe the only time you'll get this effect is through aromatic blending -- it's fairly easy to put 5 oils together and make "mud" -- something with an indistinguishable scent. But here you're attempting to treat your skin with a variety of molecules -- it's like taking a multivitamin -- you'll see 50 nutrients in their; and yes, while some may have the same uptake route, and won't be optimally absorbed at the same time, they don't cancel their effects.

And adding only a couple drops is just fine -- though at the same time, you might want to focus on what the blend is for to get optimal results. Some of the oils will be more effective for that purpose than others, and it may be valuable to have a day and nighttime formula. I'll use the oils that turn my skin orange from their antioxidant levels at night (w/oils like Sea Buckthorn, Rosehip total and Carrot Root), and lighter ones in the day (Helichrysum, Rosemary Verbenone, Neroli, etc.) So let me take that back -- I think splitting the blends so you are receiving enough of each oil's unique constituent (the ketones in Helichrysum and Rosemary V for example, or the carotenoids in Carrot Root, or similar compounds in Rosehip and Sea Buckthorn) it would be a bit of a shame to under utilize these.

I understand the motivation - ALL these oils sound like they'll do wonders for my skin, but 7 of them or 4 of them -- you won't see a difference. Narrow it down to what you need most, and don't double up on oils that do the same thing - choose one or the other. Helichyrsum OR rosemary verbenone, Sea Buckthorn OR Rosehip....this is the way you'll find most blending done - targeting rather than the shotgun approach :)

Cheers!
Eric

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:59 am

Oh fine. I'm not an expert yet haha. I'm just somebody that's trying to look for an alternative to the classic skincare, I know the necessary, not much, that's why sometimes I think on silly things :P. I need to read more books. I remember that once I read from a skincare expert that said that when more components a product has is much better than when it's something simple, surely she said that for some reason, I believe the same should be with essential oils blends, I should always remember that. Anyway, I need to learn more about essential oils.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm
Site Admin

Hi Londonurie -- When you mention the quote, do you mean she said that more therapeutically-active ingredients is better?

My only concern with including so many is that you may get to a point where none of them are there at a high enough concentration to do what they're intended for. For example, I don't find a 1/2% concentration of Helichrysum effective for much -- if you think about the potentially regenerative Italidiones in there are at 13% of the essential oil itself, and then using only a tiny amount of that oil...

Essential oils themselves are very complex -- it's not like a skin care cream where they've added retinol and 5 other ingredients -- an oil might have 100 different molecules in it alone, many with noted therapeutic activity.

AT THE SAME TIME, it's certainly worth experimenting! Because you're using it as a daily care product, not necessarily as a medicinal recipe, you may find your skin likes your complex mixture. Honestly, I haven't seen anyone say it's a good idea or not either way - I'm just letting you know what comes to mind from my education on the oils. Let us know what you make and how it works for you!

All the Best,
Erc

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]