The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Can Sage and Turmeric be mixed together? 

Post Can Sage and Turmeric be mixed together?
I've been reading about curcumin, the main component of turmeric, and I found that is highly regenerative for skin and was even used in studies to prove its effects on scars. So, it totally called my attention and I was again thinking on a blend that is really effective on many types of scars. I know obviously about sage and how beneficial can be, but I was thinking, since both are relatively strong, I have the feeling that could cause to the skin some reaction if are used together. Can these oils being blended together? There's any exception or it's all about the amounts used? Can be blended with rosemary verbenone?

Thanks!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Can Sage and Turmeric be mixed together?
Hi londonurie,

Yes, certainly -- there's really never a reason not to try two oils together; we don't have any evidence you'd cause an explosion or anything :) Both being "relatively strong" simply implies that you'll want to ensure they're sufficiently diluted for your skin (ie. below 2.5% each in a carrier). Rosemary verbenone is probably a little gentler on the skin than either the Turmeric or Sage.

But seriously, yes, though the Turmeric CO2 interestingly doesn't have but a little curcumin, or curcumin-related compounds. It does have anti-inflammatory properties, but not from the same molecule. There's a high level of "curcumenes" in Helichrysum essential oil, which has all the features you've attributed to curcumin. And this is often blended with Sage. We haven't seed data yet to say whether the "turmerones" - the primary constituents of the Turmeric oil - act in the same way as curcumin.

Though Sage and Rosemary c.t. verbenone themselves have regenerative properties, and inflammation-reduction is key in healing as well, so the 3 oils you describe might be an excellent combination.

~ Eric

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]