The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Vitamin C in CO2 extracts? 

Post Vitamin C in CO2 extracts?
I've seen that all the antioxidant serums out there are mixes of vitamin C and E. Obviously I don't want to try these, so I started to wonder if is possible to incorporate vitamin C through an oil. I know rosehip and sea buckthorn are good sources of vitamin C, but I'm not sure if this remains on the extracts. I have read in here on the descriptions of each extract that they're good sources of vitamin A, but I don't think I have read anything about vitamin C. Are those CO2 extracts sources of vitamin C also?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Vitamin C in CO2 extracts?
Hi Londonurie,

Lipid soluble vitamin C is rare (meaning, rarely found in natural oils themselves), though you can buy it online ~ it's called ascorbyl palamate. Capsules can be added to formulas. Same for Vitamin E.

Essential oils in general are fairly potent antioxidants, with Clove essential oil being considered one, if not THE, most active natural antioxidant known. Also, we carry a rosemary antioxidant CO2; this is for addition to with carrier oils if one would like to extend their shelf life, for some reason.

The CO2's you mention ARE also rich in phyto-nutrients, including antioxidants. Hence our "Sun Radiance" skin care formula...so oils like Sea Buckthorn and Carrot Root are red and orange respectably from their antioxidant content.

Hope this helps!

All the Best,
Eric

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Vitamin C in CO2 extracts?
Hi - No problems at all with Vit C serums - in fact, I think they're great...we're just working on recipes so there's a lipid phase and a water phase - the vit C should be in the water phase, rather than using lipid soluble vit c.

A GREAT book is 'Making Aromatherapy Creams and Lotions' - it describes making lipid and water phases in the same formula - usually this just entails a blender!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]