The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Allergy to essential oils 

Post Allergy to essential oils
I am allergic to pine trees (we have tons in NC). So would I be able to use pine needle oil? What about the other evergreens? Could they cause a reaction also since they are all in the same "family"?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 am

Post Re: Allergy to essential oils
Hi sunshine2,

When it comes to allergies, I think it is best to err on the side of caution. Essential oils are "super concentrated", and there is a possibility that your reaction to the essential oils could be more severe than your reaction to the actual trees. It would probably be best for you to stay away from all the evergreen oils. Of course, I am no expert, but I think it is better to be "safe" than "sorry".

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Allergy to essential oils
Hi Sunshine2,

Do you find that you're allergies act up when the pollen is coming off the trees? I've noted this myself, but have not had an allergic reaction to an essential oil. You can do a simple test, by putting just a drop on the inside of your forearm, and see if your skin reacts that way -- that's a good start, and safe. Any redness or irritation and you'll know not to use the oil. If none appears, you can then try small inhalations of the aroma.

There's really only one oil that's frequently mentioned for those with allergic reactions to ragweed and the like to avoid, which is Chamomile. And the "drop on the arm" test is the 'standard' for checking if you're ok with a particular essential oil.

Hope it helps!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]