The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Rosemary CO2 as a preservative... 

Post Rosemary CO2 as a preservative...
I'd like to know by how much Rosemary CO2 preserves/extends the life of a carrier oil/carrier oil blend? What would be the life of any carrier oil or carrier oil blend without it?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 am

Post Re: Rosemary CO2 as a preservative...
Hi Ether,

Thanks for the post. Especially when it's warm outside, preserving carrier oils is important!

Rosemary Antioxidant can be used at 1-2% of your blend to extend the shelf life. 1%=12 drops/oz.

Without Rosemary Antioxidant as a preservative, the shelf lives of the different carrier oils vary widely. As a general rule, Saturated fats will be more stable, as will oils with a higher level of Vitamin E, which acts as a natural preservative, also. Unsaturated fats (liquid at room temperature) will go rancid more quickly, so are great candidates for preservation.

Thanks for posting! Please let us know if we can help further.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 am
Site Admin

As Julia had said about the wide variety of "shelf lives" carriers: some carriers have almost an infinite shelf life: Fractionated coconut (5 yrs), Virgin coconut 2-3, Kukui 2, Apricot Kernel 2, Sweet Almond 1.5 to 2, and the lifespans decrease sharply as more short chain and essential fatty acids are in the oil (They're good for you, you just want to take care of them while they're taking care of you!) So oils like Hempseed, Borage Seed, Evening Primrose -- these should be kept in the 'fridge in a dark glass bottle. (It's all about the light and heat; and oxygen, but that's harder to control - just keep the cap on when not in use :)

Storage in a cool and dark space, and pouring out perhaps a week or two's need at a time, then returning the main bottle to the refrigerator is a good practice. This may make a very, very significant difference in terms of longevity if this is desired.

Regarding the use of the particular organic Rosemary antioxidant extract we have, this is a quote from the distiller:
The product has antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory property; for retarding oxidation of fatty oils, carotenoids, essential oils; in the food industry in food supplements and in cosmetics;dosage 0,05 - 0,1 % in case of saturated fats, 0,2 - 0,4 % in case of polyunsaturated oils.

They are implying that about 0.3% for non-saturated carrier oil will be effective. This is 3 drops per ounce of carrier oil. Only one drop is needed for 'saturated fat' carriers such as Virgin Coconut, Shea Butter and Cacao Butter.

Rosemary is a very unique antioxidant for fats. Most fat soluble antioxidants donate an electron to one oxidative radical and are done. They have lived their life unless regenerated by some outside process (or interaction with enzymes and other antioxidants in the body -- like Alpha Lipoic Acid regenerates vitamins E and C after they've quenched a radical.

ROSEMARY, in small doses, has been found to stop all lipid oxidation within the human body. Ours is edible, and I will sometimes ingest a few drops should I feel the need. ALSO. there are seven molecular types of oxidative radicals. Rosemary donates an electron to one, then to another type, then to another type, through the lineup. This is why it is a better substance of preventing oxidation in fats overall - especially in simple "systems" such as a bottle of oil.

So again, 3 drops per ounce for all but the completely saturated fats, and then 1 drop per ounce for them. 3 will not hurt either, and 5 drops per ounce, in very sensitive oils (such again as Hempseed and Borage) is the dosing regimen recommended by the distiller. Finally, it is possible to extend the lifespan of certain essential oils this way too; Grapefruit essential oil is considered an unstable essential oil in this way. A bottle should always be kept in a dark cool spot. AND, you can add 1 or 2 drops per 12ml bottle, 4 or 5 in a 30ml bottle. The aroma of the Rosemary is very light, because it's unlike other rosemary essential oils which have short-chain compounds that you can smell easily and strongly. So, you should absolutely test the effect of adding a little Rosemary antioxidant to an essential oil like Grapefruit (or lemon, orange, neroli, bergamot - even Lavender - and let it sit for a few minutes before judging the aroma. We've found it make little to no significant change in aroma, and sometimes its actually nicer.

Enjoy!

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 pm

THANKS all three of you! I needed to know this, and heeeeere it is!!! :D

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:40 pm
Site Admin

Hi Merlin,

In terms of the esoteric work you're doing, I'm really not sure rosemary antioxidant would change anything in the amounts needed. 1) It's only necessary, really, if you're using a carrier oil, and 2) at that point you're only adding 2 or so drops every ounce total -- somewhere about 2-3 drops out of 900. Now, for sure this would be a positive addition to your skin care formulas, as strong antioxidant capacity is one of the features of these types of blends that would only be better for your skin. In terms of energetic-type blends where your not using a carrier (that I know of), I don't think it's even necessary -- the oils in blends I've seen you describe mostly improve with age, and others have both very long shelf lives anyway, plus the other oils (myrrh, frankincense, palo santo, etc.) have such a strong antioxidant capacity themselves that addition of rosemary antioxidant just doesn't seem necessary -- nor anything I've ever seen recommended.

~ Eric

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm
Site Admin

If you're not using a carrier, I don't think it's necessary. You can try it -- and only would do so if you think you'll ever have the blends around for more than six months, AND aren't keeping either the blends or the citrus oils themselves in the 'fridge (or a dark, cool place at least). Experiment if you feel like it, I don't think it will change the energetic properties significantly enough to make a difference, but this is my opinion -- as is the lack of need to add it to really any "neat" EO blend.

I appreciate your inquisitiveness, and really asking questions that I've never seen posed, or discussed in any of the "manuals" of both medicinal and esoteric aromatherapy. You are the guinea pig here :)

Cheers,
Eric

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]