The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
New Science on Tamanu Oil 
Site Admin

Post New Science on Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oil continues to impress us as a carrier oil for skin care. It speeds healing, reduces inflammation, acts as a sunblock, is an anti-oxidant, and appears to have anti-cancer properties as well. Below are some abstracts from research on the oil. Good stuff!

• In regards to the oils' skin healing actions, researchers in the Journal of Cosmetic Sciences (2002 Dec;24(6):341-8.), in a report called "Tamanu (Calophyllum inophyllum) - the African, Asian, Polynesian and Pacific Panacea" note the following:

Tamanu or Calophyllum inophyllum has been used traditionally as a local medicine for many different purposes. The oil has been proven to be vulnerary and cicatrising in its effects. The chemicals responsible for this action are calophyllolide and inophyllum in addition to other complex polyphenols.

Vulnerary simply means a skin-wound healing agent, and cicartrising means the oil will help in scar formation --- Now don't worry about scars the way we think of them: marks or bumps we don't want to have on our skin -- cicartrising implies that the oil helps the skin in "knitting" itself back together more quickly.

• The oil was instigated specifically for its ability to prevent excessive UV radiation exposure. In the European Journal of Pharmacological Science (2007 Mar;30(3-4):203-10. Epub 2006 Nov 9) researchers in Paris, France published a study called "Cytoprotective effect against UV-induced DNA damage and oxidative stress: role of new biological UV filter." Here is a summary of the abstract:

After middle age, a decrease in the production of antioxidants and anti-oxidative enzymes appears with accumulation of endogenous molecules that are phototoxic. UV radiations can induce reactive oxygen species formation, leading to various ocular diseases (Ed. note: This study has particularly to do with Tamanu's potential as being a component of essentially "sunscreen for the eye", most likely in the form of eye drops. However, this certainly does open the larger question as to the potential for tamanu oil to act as a natural sunscreen for the skin as well.).

The researchers continued: "...Calophyllum inophyllum oil thus exhibited antioxidant and cytoprotective properties, and therefore might serve, for the first time, as a natural UV filter."

• Finally, the oil appears to have anti-cancer properties as well, as demonstrated in this study, "Cancer chemopreventive agents, 4-phenylcoumarins from Calophyllum inophyllum." published in Cancer Letters. (2001 Aug 10;169(1):15-9.)

In a search for anti-tumor-promoting agents, we carried out a primary screening of ten 4-phenylcoumarins isolated from Calophyllum inophyllum L. (Guttiferae), by examining their possible inhibitory effects on Epstein--Barr virus early antigen (EBV-EA) activation induced by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate in Raji cells. All of the compounds tested in this study showed inhibitory activity against EBV, without showing any cytotoxicity. Calocoumarin-A (5) showed more potent activity than any of the other compounds tested. Furthermore, calocoumarin-A (5) exhibited a marked inhibitory effect on (skin) tumor promotion in an in vivo two-stage carcinogenesis test. The results of the present investigation indicate that some of these 4-phenylcoumarins might be valuable as potential cancer chemo-preventive agents (anti-tumor-promoters).

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Post Re: New Science on Tamanu Oil
This is good to see. I use Tamanu a lot, and have loved it for years. It has proven quite effective for everything from plain ol' skin care to carrying EOs for taking care of nasty infections . The Tamanu that Ananda carries is very nice--I really like it! Ooooh...in fact, I think I need to order more... :mrgreen:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:49 pm
Site Admin

Nice. Yes, it's become the carrier oil I use the most of myself. I don't have any "particular" skin condition that demands anything in particular, yet Tamanu seems to "do it all" anyway.

And yes, we've tried importing oil from a couple of sources -- some seem aged too long or improperly (the Tamanu nut is traditionally dried for a couple of months under palm fronds, and must be carefully watched during that time to ensure they STAY dry, and no mold accumulates). Proper made oil doesn't have the STRONG aroma sometimes associated with Tamanu (though it does have a little bit of an earthy aroma even when made perfectly)...and this one I really like :) If fact, I think I could use a little douse on my face right now... :)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I ordered some tamanu because of its antiviral effects. So far I haven't used it for that or in combo with an EO's, but I just fell in love with its warm and luscious fragrance, & sometimes apply it to my face, which seems to like it very much! I really love this oil.
alliswell

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 am

I have tamanu oil which is sourced from Madagascar. I seem to be reacting to it...using it neat. Is it possible that I'm reacting because it's not a good quality oil? I keep reading here and elsewhere how wonderful this oil is and I love the butter pecan scent of it but find I cannot use it unless it's diluted in something else. Where is Ananda's tamanu oil sourced from?

Elaine

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I don't know enough to answer your question, but I did notice that after a couple of applications to my face, I had the feeling that my skin wanted less of it, so I laid off. I think it must be pretty strong and that mixing it with something else is a good idea; at least, that's what I'll do from now on.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds great. How long will the carrier oils last when refridgerated? and if they haven't been open will that extend the shelf life significantly?

Thank you

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:59 am
Site Admin

Hi All,

Generally, if capped and kept cool, unless you're planning on keeping your carrier oils for more than 6 months, there's almost no need for concern.

The most sensitive carriers are Hempseed, Borage, and Evening Primrose (because of their high levels of Omega-3's). As Merlin suggested, adding a couple of drops of Rosemary Antioxidant is a superior preservative (the aroma will not be detectable) -- you can also squeeze a capsule of Vitamin E into the bottle as well.

Cheers,
Eric

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]