The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Toenail Fungus 

Post Toenail Fungus
Can toenail fungus be cured by essential oils? If so, which ones and how often must it be applied?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Post Re: Toenail Fungus
Hi, Bugle! I've read that tea tree or lavender can do it. I'm going after the fungus on my hubbie's toenails with lavender right now. He's been doing an aloe detox thing, which is also supporting his immune system. We noticed that the toenails were starting to heal, so we're adding the lavender EO, as tea tree makes his footies itch. I'm a henna fanatic, and we *were* getting slow healing of his nails from hennaing his feet about a year ago. Trouble was, he got tired of having hennaed feet all the time!

I've noticed other oils listed on Ananda for toenail fungus, but can't remember which ones. If you search it there, they might pop up. You know, it seems to me that frankincense is one...but I don't know. So many EOs cross over each other on what they do, eh? I'd think anything antifungal would help. Calendula, maybe.

Anyway, we're doing it once a day, at bedtime. If it were my own nails, I'd be doing a couple times a day. We're applying the EO neat, to the nails, and also on his toes and the bottom of his feet, to get at the whole athlete's foot thing, which is all the same fungus.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 am

Hi there -

In addition to tea tree and lavendar, I've read the lemon eucalyptus and geranium are effective. as well. Lavendar can be applied neat, but dilute everything else.

Good luck!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 pm

I had a bad case of athletes foot and I tried tea tree oil, which didn't work for me. I also tried oregano oil, which seemed to intensify the condition but it did clear up the fungus I had on a toe nail. However, the only thing that cleared up the athlete's foot was plain old vinegar. So, if the tea tree doesn't work, you may want to try oregano oil, and definitely give very inexpensive vinegar a try.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I'll chime in on trying ACV (I use the Bragg brand). I broke my small toe once and the toe nail (which is very small) turned black. It was that way for many years. I started using ACV that I added a little tea tree and Lavender oils and put the mixture in a spray bottle. After just a week or two the black toe nail was normal color. I now use this mixture to spray my feet after every shower. Works on itching skin also.

Hope this helps,
tsp

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) is a powerful anti-fungal oil. I blend it with geranium and palmarosa, and add it to aloe gel or coconut oil (both very cooling, drying carriers; fungal conditions don't need any more moisture!) at a 3% dilution. Apply 2-3 times per day.

Apple Cider Vinegar soaks are great... a 50-50 blend of ACV and water, with a tablespoon of Epsom salts is very effective. Soak for 20-30 minutes, dry thoroughly, then apply the essential oil blend.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:43 pm
Site Admin

These are all excellent instructions. It seems toenail fungus is a challenging condition, for which one oil and process will work well for one person and not for another. I would also just like to recommend the use of Benchmark Thyme essential oil -- applying one drop one to three times daily on the toenail (and at it's front edge).

"Benchmark" Thyme is a pure essential oil blend of 4 strains of Thyme herb, scientifically created to be highly antimicrobial, without the burning potential of oregano or cinnamon. It has a chemical profile and action like a combination of different Thyme oils (all known for their antimicrobial properties) and Tea Tree. Together, they synergyize very well.

The oil blend (again, it's pure essential oils, without carrier or any other additives) was developed specifically as a treatment for MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), yet has much more broad anti-microbial uses, such as toenail fungus!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 am
Advanced Aromatherapy recommends a blend of thyme thymol, oregano and cinnamon. They should be diluted and applied 2x / day for up to two weeks as the oils can be very sensitizing--try not to get much on your skin. I've had good but not great success with it--but then again, I've had this really stubborn fungus for decades.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:52 pm

O.K. the guest is correct but that particular recipe should only be used by a Trained Aromatherapist who is also a Licensed Nail Technician.

Dr. Schnaubelt in his "Advanced Aromatherapy" also recommends the below recipe which I use first before going for the other as it is easier to tolerate and does not have such a burning effect on the skin around the toenail (still put this on the nail itself)

1 Millileter (ml) Palmarosa
1ml Euclayptus Globulus
1ml thyme, thujanol type
mixed with 100 milliliters Fatty based oil.

Two to four applications per day for a period of 10 to 14 days.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:32 am

Hallo...just joined your forum in hopes of curing a thumbnail fungus and possibly toenail also. I have read a bit about the oregano oil but noticed there is "leaf" oil and am wondering if there are two kinds of this particular oil and if so which one should I purchase? I will use this to mix with the tea tree oil and need advice please as how much to mix with what and the best way to apply etc. I don't wish to spread this from my thumbnail to my other nails either so haven't researched again if it's possible to do so...I'm a strange type person so when filing my nails I do the thumb last...I have seen severe cases of nail fungus with my step-mom-in-law and have no desire to see that happen...my thumbnail looks different than my toenails but plan to treat both. The CRNP I have been seeing said that "that's just the way they are growing" and I don't buy that for a second...thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 pm
Site Admin

OK all, here's the scoop. You CAN use just oregano, though it's more like the shotgun approach. Oh, and I think the 'leaf' only has to do with some herbal cold remedies, not essential oils. Oregano essential oil is 'leaf'.

That said, the thing about oregano is that it's really a one-chemical oil -- carvacrol is really a caustic substance, that does it's intense work when needed, but is used only in extreme cases. REALLY, the only time you'll see oregano used is ingestion in capsules to manage stomach illnesses and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

SO, given that, we do HIGHLY recommend the use of Benchmark Thyme essential oil for toenail fungus. It has components of Oregano, Tea Tree and Thyme all in one oil; it's also been scientifically developed from 4 strains of Thymus sygis plants, each with a slightly different essential oil profile - to create the most potent, yet most safe, synergy available.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 pm

What would be the best formula and protocol to help fight a severe toenail infection for an adult?
I mean, a formula which can fight the fungus and at the same time help the nail to regrow properly.

1) "Benchmark Thyme" seems great to kill the fungus; but what would be the optimal dilution?
2) "Rosalina" seems great to at the same time fight the infection (but may be too "soft") and help the skin/nail regrow; but what would be the optimal dilution?
3) And what about mixing "Benchmark Thyme" and "Rosalina"? What would be the proportion of each for dilution?
4) Should I add, and at what proportion, some Geranium (great for skin regrowth), Lavender, Lemongrass, Palmarosa, Tea Tree?

Note: as carrier oil I am planning to use Jojoba.
In advance, thanks for the help!

Thu May 01, 2014 2:13 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

Really, you can do this very simply by using only Benchmark Thyme - it is a very complex and effective antimicrobial unto itself. Since you're generally only applying to the toenails, just applying a drop or two to each affected nail daily (or 2x/day) will do the job. Of course, it takes a while for toenails to grow out and see the results, but this would be the most straightforward and effective approach.

All the Best!

Fri May 02, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks! :)

Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]