The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Bruises/Skin Trauma 

Post Bruises/Skin Trauma
I'm aware of the homeopathic remedy "Arnica" for treatment of bruises and such. But does anyone out there have experience with using essential oils for this purpose?

Thank you.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

Post Re: Bruises/Skin Trauma
Helichrysum italicum is my go-to essential oil for bruising and all types of wounds (cuts, insect bites, burns, scrapes). I've seen it help to heal scars (even older scars), and it's great added to massage or bath oil when treating muscle strains.

I like to add it to Arnica-infused carrier oil, or "Trauma Oil" (St. John's Wort, Calendula and Arnica infused in olive oil).

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:27 pm

I just started using Helichrysum for the first time recently. As part of a blend, I used it on a couple bruises and itchy mosquito bites - I swear the bruises healed in a couple days and the itching subsided almost instantly. I will definitely experiment on future bruises by using it by itself in a carrier oil.

Thanks for sharing!

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 pm
Site Admin

Hi Ether,

Helichrysum is excellent, and can be combined with Tamanu (carrier oil with wound-healing, anti-inflammatory properties). All that's needed for skin wounds are these -- if there's deeper bruising, other anti-inflammatory oils can be helpful: Plai, Frankcense CO2, Ginger CO2 and German Chamomile CO2.

For a larger bruised area, a sample recipe might be (for each ounce):

A base of 100% Tamanu, or 50:50 with Borage Seed, then:

35 drops Helichrysum
35 drops Plai
16 drops each Frankincense CO2 and Ginger CO2
8 drops German Chamomile CO2

(actually, it's easier to measure the essential oils first, then add the carriers to fill the bottle to the proper amount :)

I realize that's a lot of oils, and really including any in addition to the Helichrysum will likely be helpful.

All the Best!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]