The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Coconut Oil 

Post Coconut Oil
I have been a big fan of Coconut Oil. The oil is interesting because it changes from liquid to a solid form with tempature changes. Around somewhere above 70 degrees Coconut Oil will turn in to liquid, below that it becomes solid. I use this oil for many uses, hair, skin, massage, cooking it is very versatile. It is non staining to clothes, and has a mild pleasant order but not so strong that a couple drops of essential oil and you are not even aware of the Coconut Oil smell. I have mixed Coconut Oil with other oils, like Olive,Apricot and Grapeseed Oils. When you look for Coconut Oil get the unrefined or Raw Oil, you can find it online or at your local Health Food Store.
~ali

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Carriers for Oils or Beauty
Personally, I find Coconut highly comedogenic for my skin, but I use it on my hair and lips and Gosh, It's amazing.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:55 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Carriers for Oils or Beauty
Coconut oil is awesome, and finally being recognized for its therapeutic value. As Ali said, the Virgin coconut does "freeze" at 70 degrees, but when combined with other carriers will stay liquid (we especially like it with Tamanu, Hemp or Borage).

As you mention about the aroma, that has to do with freshness. A very fresh coconut oil has really hardly any noticeable aroma at all (such as that from Ananda). Before it was carried by Ananda, I had very mixed results from what I thought were "high end" store brands. Some weren't even useable.

It's really great for hair care, too. Research has come out that regular scalp massage with virgin coconut oil will help your hair grow if yours is thinning, and in better condition generally in any case.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Post Re: Coconut Oil
Londonurie coconut oil makes me break out too, but I do use it and love it on my hair and it makes a great carrier for a suppository if you work fast between warming it and cooling it. Store in the fridge.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

I've been using coconut oil mixed with other carrier oils and EO's all summer and now that the weather is getting cooler I'm noticing that the coconut oil is causing the blends that I've made to congeal. The last carrier oil batch I made was 50% argan oil and 50% coconut oil.

What to do? Use much less of the coconut oil or wait until warmer weather?

Thanks

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 am

I leave the coconut oil on a sunny window sill, which usually works well here in the southwest. You might also try gently heating the container in a pot of water.

Fractionated coconut oil will not congeal, but I doubt it has the same potency.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for your reply.
I'm in the northeast.
If I keep warming it in in warm water will that damage the potency of the formula over time (say 4-6 weeks?) I'm thinking maybe to get a glass jar and keep it in that b/c the coconut congeals so much that I can't get it to go through the pump on cold days and winter hasn't even begun to kick in yet.
I recently made another facial formula using 1/2 rose hip, 1/4 tamanu and 1/4 coconut and so far no problems.

Anybody have any suggestions for cold weather facial formulas? Thanks!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:12 am

If the water is around 70 degrees or so, it should make the coconut oil liquefy, and I doubt it will affect the blend. I also use Ananda's super skin care base and add essential oils to it. The proportion of organic coconut oil is not enough to cause congealing.

And you might give fractionated coconut oil a try, as it will not congeal at all.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks again!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks again!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]