The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
What is the most effective type of diffuser? 

Post What is the most effective type of diffuser?
]I would like an explanation as to how the different diffuser types affect us. The water-based type sends the oils into the air in a mist, where the fan type sends only the scent. Is one type superior? I have both, and the fan driven one seems to give off more scent but doesn't last as long. Thank you!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:29 pm
Post Re: What is the most effective type of diffuser?
I adore my nebulizing diffuser from Ananda! It sends a very fine mist into the air of pure essential oils, no water. I find it cleanses the air and changes the "attitude" of the space depending on what I'm diffusing. I have mine on a timer which they also sell. It is well worth the money and Ananda's customer service is among the best. (and no, I'm not employed by the company!)

Peace, Julie

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 pm
Site Admin

Hi All,

Each diffuser has certain advantages and best application.

• The wood-based Synergy aromatherapy diffuser makes a mist of pure essential oil only, not mixed with water, and not using heat. It is by far the one that will create the highest concentration of essential oils in the air. This is really only a concern if you at some point will want to use your oils in a therapeutic manner other than just aromatically. Oh, and it looks nice :)

For example, during "cold and flu" season, we leave this on in the office (with the Super Immune blend), as well as take the occasional deep inhale directly from its output. Some people will diffuse Frankincense, for example, to utilize its scientifically-supported anti-cancer actions.

Its drawback is that it requires a little more attention to work properly than others. You can't use the very thickest oils (vetiver, for example -- but Frankincense CO2's are relatively thick, but I have no trouble with them). You shouldn't let it sit for more than a day with oil in it and not have it run -- pour the oil out back into its bottle (or A bottle) so the oil doesn't slowly evaporate and thicken (as will happen naturally in any case. It will require the occasional cleaning, which is easily done with alcohol).

• The Ultrasonic diffuser creates a mist of oil and water. Very easy to use, though does have a limit to the amount of oil you can get in the air; great for aromatic purposes -- hard to say which therapeutic (medicinal) applications it will be sufficient for and which not.

• The fan diffuser evaporates oils from a replaceable pad -- again, easy to use, with the same "concentration" questions as the ultrasonic"

• Plug-In diffuser: This one is really great for just getting a reasonably large space to be filled with aroma. It actually works very well for that application; again, it has limits of the amount of oil it will get in the air.

If anyone has any particular experience with a certain diffuser, please chime in!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 am

I just received my Synergy diffuser and I LOVE it!! It makes such a difference in very little time, and its very easy to clean. I have tried many other kinds of diffusers and this is by far the best. I am just getting back into aromatherapy and I'm so glad I found Ananda! :P

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm

I agree with the moderator the Synergy aromatherapy diffuser is the way to go. Use one in my practice and getting another for home.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:56 am

I LOVE my Synergy diffuser and the timer that Ananda sells with it. I have tried tons of other types of diffusers and this one beats them all

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 am
Site Admin

Thanks All -- we all think the Synergy is our favorite, as does everything well -- I typically run Frankincense throughout the night, and it will need an alcohol wash because the last of the oil had thickened by morning, but that's the only "work" with it.

We DO have one VERY nice ultrasonic that would complement the wood base Synergy - a huge reservoir, fun shape, and high-output for an ultasonic (we just didn't want to order 1000 for the first time in the middle of Summer...we'll have SOMEthing nice in addition to the Synergy by Fall (I do like the ultrasonics in the dry forced-air heat here in the winter, but again, still use the Synergy for getting lots of Super Immune in the air :)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:17 am

Since I'm considering the Synergy, I wonder if you can tell me how much oil you use for each use/run of the unit. Are we talking several drops? More than that? I'm assuming the oil is spent after it's use and needs to be discarded?

I work at a university and want to get a unit for my office to help keep the air clear and fresh and am curious to try an uplifting scent for use during exams.

Any help you can provide on the amount of oil would be great!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:26 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

All diffusers are really equally efficient. The amount of essential oil put in the diffuser ends up in the air. There's no where else for it to go. Put 20 drops in the Synergy, or Ultrasonic, or Plug-In wall diffuser, and they will evaporate and you'll smell them.

The big question is: "what do you want the oils in the air for"? If it's purely for aroma, any diffuser will do the trick. We like the Synergy diffuser because you can clearly see what's going on. The essential oil in the reservoir becomes a mist, and you can see this mist being made. And control the output by turning the unit's output up or down. The others aren't quite as straightforward in this regard. Plus, the Synergy cold-air nebulizer can be used for "intense" applications ~ For example, if someone in the space has a cold, they, or others, can inhale Super Immune (a blend of ours) straight from the unit.

The ultrasonic makes a mist of water and essential oils together, and the plug-in unit is akin to a warming lamp. Both are excellent aromatically; if you wanted to use for therapeutic purposes beyond only scent, because the ultrasonic does make a mist (which is gentle on the bronchial system, because of the water mist) it would be our recommendation if choosing between these two.

All the Best,
Eric

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks Eric. In addition to the aroma quality of the air, I do want to be able to run the unit in my office (or a classroom) during the winter to help alleviate/prevent cold symptoms. Will the Synergy do this the best (as you said, so you can take a deep breath every once in a while). Also, would the output of the Synergy help with elimination of germs on surfaces around the unit? College students can be so germ-y sometimes ;-)

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:27 pm
Site Admin

Hi Cohoss,

Yes, the Synergy diffuser will work well. You'll want to pair it with a timer, so it's only running up to 10 minutes every hour. You can set it for up to 8 cycles per day, every day of the week (ie. off on the weekends, if you prefer.)

Best,
Eric

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]