The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
The Regenerative Essential Oils and Carriers 
Site Admin

Post The Regenerative Essential Oils and Carriers
It's been shown that as we age, the rate of production of new skin cells slows significantly -- along with a loss of collagen, there's work to be done to keep up our looks :)

Background

One of the great features of "aromatherapy" oils is their known regeneration-supporting properties. One or more of these oils should really always be included in blends addressing the signs of aging. We all know that this is all that prescription "Retin-A" does, and it has such a noticeable effect reducing lines and wrinkles, that it's really the benchmark by which other products of the same nature go.

Synthetic Product Effects

However, even though it does its job, Retin-A has two major side effects, which the oils mentioned here do not: it can be excessively drying, to the point that the skin is peeling. Also, it makes the skin more susceptible to UV rays, so while reducing wrinkle appearance, it almost makes one more unacceptable to sun damage (I've actually tried it myself, forgot sunscreen, and felt a significant burning after half-an-hour in the sun).

The Regenerative Essential Oils

There are several oils that have been included in recipes for years by Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt, for would healing and scar reduction. We think it fairly easy to take the leap in saying that certain oils in these recipes, included to speed the process, will increase new skin cell production in the dermal layer (in fact, there are several controlled studies which we'll mention that support this.)

Helichrysum: Perhaps the most renown oil is Helichrysum italicum. A high quality oil will contain about 12% "Italidiones", a class of ketone which is safe for use. Ketones are generally regeneration-supportive molecules, though some are known to potentially also stimulate formation of tumors. Not only does Helichrysum contain this high Italidione content, but its curcuminoid compouds are also anti-inflammatory, another very important factor in skin aging.
    Rosemary Verbenone: Next perhaps is Rosemary c.t. Verbenone, which has a different chemical profile than the cineol chemotype, (which is what you receive when you order simple "Rosemary Essential Oil"). Rosemary essential oil itself is pleasantly stimulting, yet it is the "verbenone" ketone in this oil often distilled in France which has regenerative actions like the Italidiones in Helichrysum.
    Sage: Common, or "Dalmatian" Sage essential oil also contains regenerative ketone, but these are consider less safe, and should be used sparingly blends.
    Lavender: Yes, lavender has a small amount of the "safe" ketones in it, and because of its all-around balancing and inflammation-reducing nature, it really has a place in almost every formula.

In addition to these steam distilled oils, there are CO2 distillations which, while not containing ketones, contain nutrients LIKE THAT IN RETIN-A which also stimulate production of new skin cells. These include:

Sea Buckthorn: While there is a Sea Buckthorn seed carrier oil, the CO2 'Total; distillation of the whole fruit provides vitamin-A like compounds and other antioxidant flavenoids, plus one of the only known sources of Omega-7 fatty acids, which are the predominant fatty acid in epithelial cell membranes. Feed it to your skin through topical application and it will absorb it!
    Carrot Root: Clearly the deep orange color indicates again a high level of vitamin-A precursors, which your skin craves in order to grow. Think of Beta Carotine, a source of Vitamin-A with none of the drawbacks of synthetic variations.
    Rosehip 'Total': Like Sea Buckthorn above, this is a distillation of the whole, bright red "fruit" of wild roses. While it contains a smaller amount of the fatty acids (oils) in the Rosehip Seed carrier, also like the Sea Buckthorn, it is dense (really, it's almost a reddish-orange paste) with nutrients again to stimulate cell growth and nourish the skin in general. ALSO, these three CO2 oils are know to absorb some amount of UV radiation, acting as natural sunscreens, and preventing the oxidative radical cascade which occurs when the amount of light exceeds that of which the body can utilize its own antioxidant defenses to quench.

The Carrier Oils

Tamanu Oil: Yes, you'll see us keep mentioning Tamanu, as the research on the oil is growing. Researchers in the Journal of Cosmetic Sciences presented a study confirmed the oil's ability to speed wound healing; others in preventing UV radiation damage, and others in preventing formation of skin tumors.
    Rosehip Seed Oil: Pressed from the seeds of the fruit of roses originally growing wild in the mountains of Chile, this may have been the first oil studied in a laboratory setting for its beautification properties. Its regenerative features, from its unique fatty acids, have show in to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, even skin coloration, and reduce the appearance of scars.
    Pomegranate Seed Oil: Last, but certainly not the least, it is primarily made up of a unique fatty acid called Pucinic acid, which has been shown to significantly increase the formation of keratinocytes, which make up 95% of the cells of the outer layer of the skin.

There's lots of information on the site for creating your own blend including one or more of these oils. We personally will sometime use these three base oils in equal parts, 1% each of the CO2's and 1/2% each of the steam distilled oils. The CO2's are gentler, and can be used at a higher concentration for most folks without issue. We'll also include 8 drops of German Chamomile CO2 to enhance the formula's anti-inflammatory effect.

THIS is by no means an exhaustive list of the oils which may stimulate cellular regeneration of the skin, simply the most well-known and researched ones.

Thanks for reading!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Post Re: The Regenerative Essetial Oils and Carriers
I am a self taught novice with E Os. I have 2 friends with anal cancer. They are at different stages of treatment. One has serious burns and scaring from radiation and the other is about to begin radiation but has raw tender skin in the area. Any help or suggestions. Thanks Char.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 am

Hi Char,

Calendula has been tested and found effective in healing radiation burns on cancer patients. Read the essential oil profile for Calendula on the Ananda website. My son got a bad burn on his arm recently and Calendula is working very well. The burn is healing quicker than I expected and without a hint of infection.

Regards,

Sue

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:29 pm
Site Admin

Yes, and you can also see the research of Calendula on http://www.pubmed.gov searching "calendula skin" -- research also shows the regenerative and skin healing effect of Tamanu nut oil, a carrier, for burns as well -- reducing inflammation and increasing the rate of healing.

The concentration of Calendula is intended to remain very low in the overall blend. Less than 1% in a base of Tamanu oil, or other carrier oil used (virgin coconut is also a good choice here, and be cause of the condition, if left in a cool area, it could be solid/paste-like, which could make application easier. Even a base of 70% virgin Coconut, 30% Tamanu will be more beneficial than either oil alone, and can be allowed to cool to a solid. Regardless, the distiller recommends no more than 11 or 12 drops Calendula per each one ounce of carrier oils

A little lavender wouldn't hurt, nor a little Helichrysum either -- both helpful for burn healing, and pain relief. AND, there are several oils which have been show to cause cancer cell death while leave healthy cells alone. The most well researched is Frankincense. Tamanu has anti-tumorial properties in research as well.

So your possibilities of blends range from: 11 drops of Calendula in one ounce of Tamanu oil, to something like (for each 1 ounce) 70:30 Virgin Coconut:Tamanu for the base, 11 drops calendula, 9 drops each of Helichrysum and Lavender, and 14 drops Frankincense (the carteri + seratta CO2 combination is suggested). The first formula should be used if either are undergoing chemotherapy -- as the other oils could reduce or cancel the practice's effects. In this case, just use the Calendula with Coconut oil for healing the burns until the time comes that they are no longer undergoing treatment, but are healing from it.

Blessings to you and your friends! I hope this helps, and let us know if we can answer any additional questions.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Post Re: The Regenerative Essential Oils and Carriers
Hi Eric,

Re: Use of CALENDULA ---- I had no idea that it is not recommended to be used in concentrations of higher than 1%. I have a lot to learn... I actually applied the Calendula to my son's burn neat. Fortunately, it didn't cause any irritation or adverse effects. I know better for future uses of Calendula. The burned skin is completely gone and the raw exposed skin is evenly colored light pink and mildly tender, but looks very good. I just added a few drops of Calendula to the Ananda Smooth Skin blend. My son is applying the Smooth Skin twice a day and he is very pleased with the look and feel of the skin.

Thanks for all your helpful information.

Regards,

Sue

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: The Regenerative Essential Oils and Carriers
Ya know, I'm going to find out WHY the manufacturer has this in their specification. I personally can't see why it would have a negative effect -- perhaps that MORE than their specification is thought not necessary for a similar effect... Glad to hear he's been healing so well!

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]