The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Adding an essential oil to my hair oil and shea butter mixes 

Post Adding an essential oil to my hair oil and shea butter mixes
First off I just want to say THANK YOU for this forum. I have been searching the internet for a forum that dealt with various oils (carrier and essential) and how to use them. I use the following mixture to make my hair oil and decided to add an essential oil to my mix. I have afro textured hair (kinky) and I use the mixture every other day or few days depending on how my hair feels.

Homemade Oil mixture
2.5 oz Olive Oil
1.0 oz Jojoba Oil
1.0 oz Grapeseed Oil
1.0 oz Castor Oil
1.0 oz Sweet Almond Oil
1.0 oz Avocado Oil
0.5 oz Vitamin E Oil
0.5 oz Red Pimento Oil

What I would like to do is incorporate peppermint oil into my hair oil mixture. I did read on the website about how to calculate how much to use and that was back at 3pm this afternoon. I honestly still am clueless as to how much to use. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Now my 2nd dilemma is that I also make my own shea butter mixtures as well for my hair and want to add Lavender oil for that mixture.

I use the following ingrediants:

8 oz Raw unfiltered shea butter
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of castor oil
1 teaspoon of jojoba oil

When this is whipped up it makes 16 oz. How many drops would you recommend for this mixture? Please keep in mind I use this on a daily basis. Thank you much and again any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Adding an essential oil to my hair oil and shea butter m
Hi - Skin/scalp/hair blends, the most common dilution of essential oils in the formula is a total of 1 to 3%. Estimate 30 drops per ml, and that 1ml per ounce is 3% (there are 30ml in one ounce, 1/30th of that, or about 3.33% is 1ml...1% = 1/3ml per ounce...1ml = APPROX. 30 drops) SO, add 10 to 30 drops essential oil per total ounces of your carrier for a 1 - 3% concentration.

I would just start on the low end, particularly for the peppermint - more is fine with the lavender. 1% peppermint may still even be pretty spicy...but it's really personal preference. SO! Try this: for 1%, add 10 drops essential oil per ounce of carrier. For each formula, it looks like you have about 8 total ounces...so 80 drops essential oil for your total blend. Perhaps start with 40 in your first with peppermint, see how it feels, and 80 with lavender in the second, and adjust as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 am

THank you Thank you Thank you. I read what you said and I understand your reasoning. Thank you so much. I will definitely try on my next batches.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 am

Hi I have a chart that tells you how much essential oils you should add, these are some of the concentrations you might want to look at. Be careful with peppermint it can easily overpower your blend. I would use one drop at a time until it smells and feels right to you.

1% Concentration: Expectant mothers, the elderly, and young children

2% Concentration: Older children, full body massage blends with oils that may cause possible skin reactions or be aggressive in nature ( ie..black pepper, sweet birch...)

2.5% Concentration: Oils and lotions that will cover a large area of the body.

3% Concentration: Oils and lotions containing essential oils that are not known to cause any type of reaction

4-6% Concentration: Spot treatments for certain types of soft tissue injuries or for acute symptoms like stomach cramps or muscular pain

100% Neat Applications: For spot reatments using specified oils like tea tree, trigger point therapy, or for small burns(lavender) inflammation of soft tissue(German Chamomile) skin blemish (lemon, tea tree, lavender) etc.

I hope this helps in some small way

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 am

Yes this is very helpful. Thank you very much. I think when I do my next blend I will stay between 1% - 2%. The first blend I tried about a month did definitely felt strong on my scalp even though I felt I just added a small amount.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 am

Post Argan Oil for Hair
So you are looking for more information on Argan oil? Well first of all, let us talk about where and how it is extracted. It is extracted from the Argan tree an endangered tree, that is found in a special region of Morocco. It is a very rare special oil, due to the fact that there is only a small area where this tree grows.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]