The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
New with several questions 

Post New with several questions
Hello, I've just received my first shipment of wonderful products and have a few general questions.

1. My bottle of Rosehip Essential Oil seems to be clogged - nothing will come out of the dropper top so I had to pry it off...it was rather messy :-). What is the best/most sterile way to unclog a top?

2. I received the free sample of Blue Tansy and read on this website that it can be used to relieve congestion from allergies by rubbing it into the skin around the sinuses. My children suffer from allergies and I'm wondering if it is safe to use on them - ages 8 and 12.

3. I also read on this website about catnip eo being used as a very effective bug repellant. I have cats - if I use the spray on humans but the cats get near us, will it have the same effect on them as catnip toys?? Also, I already use an "all-natural" deet-free spray, but it doesn't contain catnip. Is it possible to safely add catnip eo to this existing spray to increase its potency?

Thank you - I'm new to all of this but love learning about it!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 am
Site Admin

Post Re: New with several questions
Hi!

1. The rosehip seed CO2 is a very thick oil, and it may be that it may not come out of that dropper top - our apologies! I personally just tap the bottle really vigorously into my palm to get some out, or better is to, as you noted, pry the top out and use an eye dropper or pipette. No real need for sterility, you won't contaminate the oil.

2. Yes, it is safe to use with children. It won't necessarily relieve congestion, but the irritation which causes the congestion. I use it under my eyes when they itch from grass allergies, and it relieves the itchiness in just a few minutes.

3. Catnip: the essential oil will not have the same effect as catnip toys, and generally, cats and essential oils don't mix. They'l be fine smelling oils on you - and likely won't like it. But their livers cannot process many of the molecules in essential oils, and they're not healthy for them.

We have a Catnip Bug Be Gone spray on our essential oil blends page. It's quite effective. And yes, you can add catnip essential oil to any natural insect repellent, at the concentration of 30 drops of the essential oil added to each ounce of your product.

Enjoy!

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]