The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Diffusing essential oils for mental acuity 
Site Admin

Post Diffusing essential oils for mental acuity
I've done a lot of research on the use of essential oils improving mental cognition, and have experimented with three for this purpose: Lemon, Rosemary and Blue Gum Eucalyptus essential oils. I've found they all work, but have a decreasing amount of emotional uplift as well.

The lemon aroma is eye opening and makes one feel lighter or happier. The rosemary is second in that respect, as it still has a lot going on in its aroma -- there's several notes in there, which give it that herbal aroma of rosemary. By the way, the Rosemary Verbenone will do too, but it's not as sharp, so it seems to have a more subtle effect (there's less camphor, naturally, found in verbenone type - straight camphor, or oils very high in it like wild mint, are brightening to the mind but not so pleasant to smell continually.).

The the Eucalyptus Globulus --- Ananda's is unique relative to may Blue Gum varieties -- it also has more going on in it that many Eucalyptus oils -- I suppose as they say that so many eucalyptus oils are "rectified", meaning the smells other than just that of the cineol molecule have been removed. This is a once-distilled oil is certainly aromatically finer than ones that have been distilled for the over-the counter medicine market.

Oh, so yes, it does seem that I'm more alert when diffusing these oils when working, and co-workers have complemented them as well. I'm certainly now interested in trying the Lemon Eucalyputus (Eucalyptus Citradora) -- maybe it'll have the best both worlds :)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Post Re: Diffusing essential oils for mental acuity
eric, have you used peppermint or spearmint for alertness? And if so, did you like their effects?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 am

Eric,

It seems like you've blended the lemon, rosemary, and eucalyptus. Can you offer any suggestions on the relative amounts you've used with each? Also, what kind of diffusor do you use?

Thanks.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 am
Site Admin

Hi Jersey JD and ElizabethOSP,

While I've used these essential oils for their support of mental acuity, I actually have not blended the Rosemary, Euc. and Lemon at the same time -- but since you brought it up, I thought I'd give it a try. :)

I started with equal parts of each: Rosemary ct cineol, our Corsican Blue Gum Eucalyptus - which is so much more rich than most Eucalyptus varieties because of the way it's distilled, and Italian lemon) and actually didn't find that especially pleasant.

I believe this is because the Rosemary and Eucalyptus are mostly 'cineol', and that Rosemary has a stronger camphorus scent than the Rosemary Verbenone. Now, I do like rosemary alone, I just don't believe these all mixed well at equal parts.

So I went with:
2 parts Lemon, and 1 part Eucalyptus, which I really liked...then
2 parts lemon, 1 part Eucalyptus and 1/2 part Rosemary, which may even be a bit nicer for the "hint" of Rosemary in the aroma.

I recognized that it's easy to overwhelm the lemon aroma -- which is less "intense" -- with a lot of the Cineol-containing oils. I didn't try Rosemary Verbenone, but expect it would likely be just a tiny bit nicer because of its lower camphor content than the Rosemary c.t. Cineol ("c.t." stands for "chemotype", and cineol is also known as Eucalyptol -- so you can see how Eucalyptus and Rosemary together could overwhelm the lemon).

I have not found any research on a quantitative difference in the effects on mental ability between these oils -- I think it's simply important that they are "bright" aromas to produce this result. And in the end, I really believe the ratios are a matter of taste. I really liked the way the Eucalyptus made the Lemon a little less "fruity" -- and the blend would be something we would run throughout the day at the store -- particularly when everyone needed a little "perk me up"!

I have not diffused peppermint or spearmint for this purpose
-- though I'll occasionally take a deep inhale from a small bottle of peppermint for the same reason. I'd have to give them a try in a diffuser --- Peppermint is such a potent oil, that I would likely use something like 1/5th Peppermint and 4/5ths Spearmint (or some ratio of at least 1:1 or less). This would certainly give it a sweeter aroma. Elizabeth, have you tried these yourself?

I might also consider using ANY diffuser than the Synergy Wood Base model if using peppermint, which is the diffuser I used with the lemon and eucalyptus (OR keep it turned down low, and run it on a timer for less than 10 minutes per hour). This diffuser has the ability to output more essential oil in the air than any other we carry.

My understanding is it's simply the olfactory sense being activated by these aromas than the need for a high amount of oil in the air (as when dealing with bacteria, mold, viruses, etc.)

Finally, I think one can achieve the same effect (and there is research supporting this) by using other bright aromas such as Bay Laurel, Basil, Sage, and likely Grapefruit and Bergamot as well.

SO! Experiment a little -- if you have some bright herbal scents, you can find a blend for yourself which aroma you may like even more. Also, I have found the effect to be noticeable -- it seems to bring a brightness to the mind, making certain work tasks somewhat easier.

Let us know what you find out from your own trials with the "mental acuity enhancing" essential oils!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for reply. I'll give your suggested blend a try and then modify. I do have some bay laurel and have been looking for things to do with it as it is quite strong by itself.

Cheers

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]