The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Carrier Oil 

Post Carrier Oil
I was wondering, can you apply a carrier oil directly to the skin without blending it with something else? I bought some Apricot Kernel Carrier Oil and was wondering if I can just apply that to the skin without mixing anything else with it. Thanks.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 am

Post Re: Carrier Oil
Hi. Definitely. You can apply any of the carrier oils directly to the skin, with or without added essential oils.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am

Post Re: Carrier Oil/Blending
I have been using the YL oils and have been loving using the oils, I love the ease of just using them without having to dilute them, but the cost of the YL oils is so expensive so I want to try these oils. I know that the oils need to be diluted in a carrier oil, but my question is how do I learn how to blend the oil with the carrier oil? All that I have been reading on this website about blending is very confusing to me. How much essential oil do I use to how much carrier oil? Will it say on the bottle of EO how much I put in with the carrier oil? Ugg! I need some help! Thanks!

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi. It would be helpful to know which oils you are wanting to use in a blend, for what purposes, and the total amount (e.g. one ounce). The percentages might vary according to intended use.

There are lots of recipes available at the Ananda website, as well as a table listing number of drops per milliliter for each oil.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:30 pm
Site Admin

Hi - Well, the truth is, you can use most oils undiluted if you've been using YL's oils that way. The thing to do is look on the YL bottle and see if there's been a carrier oil added.

If not, you can use the same oil from us 'neat'. If there IS a carrier oil, it's really very flexible in terms of how much you use. I'll often just put about 1/2 teaspoon of a carrier oil into my palm, then shake a few drops of the essential oil into it, then apply.

There are really no hard and fast rules. Just a little carrier will help the oil absorb and protect your skin at the same time. There are very few oils that cause skin sensitivity when used 'neat'...and you might consider these the 'spicy' oils...ginger, black pepper, oregano and the like.

Too much carrier won't hurt either, it will simply slow the absorption of the essential oil, but not 'prevent' it from being absorbed.

The thing to do is experiment, and use your intuition!

All the Best,
Eric

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]