The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Essential Oils for Depression 

Post Essential Oils for Depression
I put 3 drops of sandalwood in 100ml of water in my nebulizer and I imagine this must be what it smells like in heaven! It saves me from depression.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Essential Oils for Depression
Awesome! Sandalwood has been researched with humans for its psychological effects. In placebo-controlled research, those receiving the sandalwood aroma were found more alert, calm, relaxed and vigorous (yet not overstimulated). Sounds like a perfect anti-depressant, no? (The research abstract can be found here).

Bergamot, Sweet Orange, Grapefruit and Rose are ALL really good choices for depression. It depends on your aromatic tastes, of course. Bergamot is THE number-one oil researched for depression. Something about the sweet-tart, eye-opening notes of the citrus oils seem to do the trick; Rose otto is expensive, but you can just leave a 2ml bottle sitting around with the lid off and keep catching the aroma...little hints here and there - and while it's considered THE heart-opening oil for women, the men around the store love it dearly as well. Also, despite the cost, it is considered a very potent aroma - meaning our olfactory sense will notice smaller amounts of this than other essential oils in the air.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]