The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Chap Stick or Lip Balm Recipes? 

Post Chap Stick or Lip Balm Recipes?
Hello, Anyone have a recipe for chap stick or lip balm...or a link to a recipe?

Any intriguing essential oil combinations? Citrusy oils, mint, and vanilla immediately jump to mind, but is there anything a little more interesting?

I have bought organic chap stick for years from an organic skincare company, but of all their products, the chap stick is really inconsistent. My guess is that it has to do with a coconut oil to bees wax ratio? Maybe. I tried just putting a dab of coconut oil and a drop of essential oil in a tiny travel size container, worked, if the temperature in my purse stayed cold enough....

Also, is there an essential oil that I might add for a touch of pink or red color on my lips? I came across a natural recipe once that called for powdered pomegranate, maybe powdered beet? something like that...for a blush or a lip tint...can't remember...Is there an essential oil that would be a safe tint in a lip balm?

Thank you for your help.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Chap Stick or Lip Balm Recipes?
Hi,

Well, you've got it there...Mandarin is really the oil to use for a citrus note, as it will not make the lips sensitive to UV rays. Maybe with a little spearmint.

Yes, beeswax addition is the way to keep this solid, though cacao butter will do the same (though add a little cacao sent - to this, add Vanilla! It's awesome!)

Use Rosehip Seed CO2 for a little 'red' touch...VERY good for the lips - anti-oxidant, anti-UV, etc...

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 am

Post Re: Chap Stick or Lip Balm Recipes?
You might try this :)
To me, this recipe has a really pleasant smell :)
Coco-Rosey Lip Balm:
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp grated cocoa butter
- 1 Tbsp dried rosebuds (or any dried flower, green tea, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil (or 3 punctured, squeezed out vitamin E capsules)
- 3 drops rose essential oil (optional, or substitute lavender, vanilla, or sweet orange)
On very low heat, melt the coconut oil in a small stainless steel bowl or pot. After the oil is liquid, add your roses (or other dried flowers) and stir well. Allow to steep (again, on very low heat) for 1 hour. Strain oil into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth. Wipe out your original heating pot/bowl, pour oil back in, and return to heat. Add cocoa butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat, add vitamin E oil and essential oil and stir well. Transfer to a small container and let set for 3 hours (or until completely set).

Note: Because this is predominately coconut oil, DO NOT put this in a lip balm tube, and do not keep it in your pocket. Coconut oil liquefies rapidly with just a small amount of heat, and if you keep it somewhere warm (like next to your hot little body), it’ll leak all over.

Source: crunchybetty

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]