The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
fingernail help 

Post fingernail help
My fingernails are terrible. Three fingers and both thumbs have splits that seem to grow as my nail does and thus never grow out. Needless to say this is painful unless I keep my fingernails cut as short as possible. Is there an essential oil that I can use to harden my fingernails so that this doesn't happen anymore?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 am

Post Re: fingernail help
There are a variety of oils that restore and nutrify the nail bed and cuticle, which will produce stronger, healthier nails. It may not heal the cracking, as split nails can be caused by heredity, by trauma, or sometimes by fungal or bacterial infection. It might be a good idea to visit your doctor or naturopath to rule out disease before treating the nails with essential oils.

Assuming a healthy nail bed, the following oils contribute to strong, healthy nail growth: Carrot, Cypress,Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary. Add a few of these oils into a carrier oil base, and massage into the nail beds and fingers. Great carrier oils would be Jojoba or Avocado oil, or a blend of Jojoba and Grapeseed.

The following recipe comes from Valerie Worwood's The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy:

Nail Strengthener
2 tsp Grapeseed oil
5 drops Jojoba
3 drops Carrot Oil
8 drops Lemon Oil
2 drops Rosemary

Doing a little research on our website about the properties of each oil will help you decide which of these oils would be best for you. Each of these also is available in sample sizes, so you can find the ones you like before making a commitment. Enjoy your blend, and your strong nails!

Thanks for posting! Please let us know if we can help further.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]