The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Essential Oils for Headaches 
Post Essential Oils for Headaches
hi there,
Headache is a common problem of everybody. This is an unbearable pain in our head. This can be caused by tension or high blood pressure. When we deal headaches it is effective to use peppermint oil. By spreading drops of peppermint oil on your forehead you will be relieve from pain. Other effective essential oils to cure headache are the following: basil, chamomile, coriander, eucalyptus, ginger, lemon, marjoram, melissa, rosemary and rosewood.

hope it can help :)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:48 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Innerscent-aromatherapy for headaches
Right on! Yes, just be careful about the amount used - sometime one or two drops can do the trick, and three or four can be overwhelming. And really, if one oil doesn't work for you, do try another. Even the sample sizes will have enough to find the right oil for you in this application!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm
Thank you for the reminder.
Yes I will keep that in mind.. :)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 pm

I've had some success with myrtle as well.

Melissa has also been quite helpful.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 am
Ohh thanks for informing, need to do some research about it..=)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 am
Site Admin

Yes, it's interesting how different oils work for different people. So many use peppermint for its cooling, oxygenating effects, yet for others, it's just not what they need. It's an interesting thing about aromatherapy/aroma-medicine...simply how two people can react quite differently to the same oil.

Also, headaches have different qualities. The fatigue headache might be very positively affected by peppermint, but the high-stress headache might not.

Shirley Price, in "Aromatherapy for Common Ailments" starts by listing Lavender and Sweet Marjoram for the pain itself, and Chamomile to generally sooth. Then lists peppermint OR eucalyptus if the headache is sinus related.

Jersey JD, I'm a huge fan of Green Myrtle, and I'll give that a try sometime. Thanks for the tip!

And to be realistic, A LOT of water, a clean diet, good rest, and exercise are all important too, and all these healthy lifestyle actions will probably allow the oils to have an even greater effect.

Any other personal success stories about oils and headaches, please share!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Post Re: Essential Oils for Headaches
Lots of water is always a good thing for headaches!

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 am

Post Re: Essential Oils for Headaches
For my first headache line of defense, I always start with lavender. Usually only 1-2 applications applied to my temples are all it takes. For more stubborn headaches, I then turn to peppermint....but I apply first to the nape of my neck. You must be careful with peppermint because even when I am careful to keep it away from my eyes...it has a tendency to "travel" and can cause real eye irritation. If you do choose peppermint, apply it more to the hairline of the temples.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]