The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
newborn with colic 

Post newborn with colic
I am fairly new to essential oils so I'm trying out lots of things. I have a friend whose baby has colic. I found a recipe in Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child which calls for 5 drops Coriander, 3 drops Cardamom, and 2 drops Dill in 1/2 t almond oil. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how well does it work? Any suggestions? I think she is willing to try just about anything! I don't see dill on the list Ananda has, so is there a substitute I could use? Thanks

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Post Re: newborn with colic
Sorry to hear about your friend's baby. That doesn't sound like a fun time for either of them!

The formula you mentioned sounds good is great for digestion, and dill has been recommended in The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, as well. Even though we do not carry that oil, if you can find it, it'd be great to use.

A recipe that doesn't require Dill comes from Shirley Price's Aromatherapy for Common Ailments. She suggests blending 2 drops each of Roman Chamomile and Sweet Marjoram in 2 oz. of Sweet Almond Oil. Use the oil sparingly to gently massage the baby's belly in a clockwise motion, after feeding. Roman Chamomile releases gas, while Sweet Marjoram relaxes spasms and stimulates digestion. If you wanted a quick start, even samples of the essential oils and our smallest bottle of Sweet Almond would do the trick.

I hope the baby returns to health, and the Mom to sleep as soon as possible!

Thanks for posting! Please let us know if we can help further.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Post Re: newborn with colic
Thank you so much. I will try this and hopefully it works :)

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]