The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
cat contraceptive 

Post cat contraceptive
I would like to use wild carrot seed oil as birth control for feral cats. Does anyone know how that would work or where I can find more information about doing that? TIA

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 am
Site Admin

Post Re: cat contraceptive
THAT is one of the most unique requests I've ever seen :)

Could you let us know where the idea came from in the first place, and we'll see if we can track down more information for you?

Cheers!
Eric

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm

I was curious myself, so I did an internet search and found a couple of references but no specific recipes. There is a short article on eHow http://www.ehow.com/about_5417135_natural-birth-control-cats.html

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm

I googled cat contraceptives and found some limited info re wild carrot seeds. The problem I would like to address is keeping feral cats from reproducing when the cats in question cannot be caught in order to get them spayed. There are doses and recommendations for humans, but I couldn't find any specific instructions for cats. Human females can use a wild carrot seed tea as a "morning after" pill. Cat ovulation, however doesn't occur at specific time intervals, but occurs when daylight hours are long enough and then occurs every 2-3 weeks until the cat is impregnated. I guess this would mean one would have to give the cats the tea (if that's safe to give to cats) every day during the months there is long enough daylight time for them to ovulate. Also, altho it may keep them from getting pregnant, it would not stop the mating behavior such as midnight yowling, etc. I wish I could find a method of sterilizing these cats other than spay surgery.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]