The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Oils or Blend for twisted ankle? 
Post Oils or Blend for twisted ankle?
Hey --- I've just twisted an ankle playing pretty hard, and am wondering what the best approach using essential oils might be --- I've read that they can be very effective for such usse, but want to make sure I start using the right stuff --- I've got a lot of oils in my collection...any suggestions?? ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 am
Site Admin

Re: Oils or Blend for twisted ankle?
I've done that so many times myself running the trails around Boulder, Colorado.

My approach has always seemed to heal the injury faster, and others have said the same.

1. I use Helichrysum "neat" -- just enough to put a thin layer over the injured area -- 'cause it is a pricey oil. I do this 3 times per day.
2. I make a blend of anti-inflammatory oils to use in between, or after day 2 when I've stopped using the helichrysum "neat":

A one-half ounce blend consists of:
1.5ml (48 drops) Helichrysum
.5ml (16 drops) Frankincense CO2 (has boswellic acids for inflammation relief)
10 drops German Chamomile -- I'll use the CO2 if I have it, otherwise the CO2 is fine
14 drops Ginger CO2 -- research has shown this to be VERY anti-inflammmatory

If I'm making in a 1 ounce bottle, I'll fill the rest with Tamanu (again, anti-inflammatory in itself), or fractionated coconut oil, OR really any carrier oil you have around.

Best of luck! Heal quick! :D

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 am

Post Re: Oils or Blend for twisted ankle?
I've tried Plai essential oil -- it's relatively "new", but there's been some studies that it too works like Helichrysum, and can be used "neat".

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 am

I have what I call a 3C infusion at home but it is not an essential oil blend, Chamomile Flower, Comfrey Leaf, and Calendula Flower steep in olive or jojoba oil for a few months, I almost broke my toe one Friday so I toke a tablespoon of this oil and add 1 drop of Anise Seed Oil and by Monday I could fit the foot in a closed toe shoe and walk on it again.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 am
Site Admin

Interesting - I was considering adding comfrey cream to the site, so folks could add german chamomile and/or calendula CO2 oils to the base and have it ready to go. Not edible though. I do like the sound of what you've done.

My "infusion" education is slim to none -- would you care to share your exact recipe and method? I'd really like to know better the amounts of each herb relative to the oil, infusion time and such.

Thanks!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you so much dear Eric site administrator for your recipe. I am just this year learning about helicrysm, as I am getting into my 50's and never worked with it before. I find it awesome and never thought of it as what you described above. Thanks so much.
To PureSimple, what I have used thru the years is hyssop and germanium for bruises with great results. And lately adding St John's Wort. for aches and pains as this hot weather finds me not exercising as much, so I'm more sore for less activity, go figure, lol.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Chiming in on Helichrysum, Plai, and Tamanu! I love all three. Tamanu has been a favorite of mine for a couple years. Helichrysum and Plai are new to my arsenal, and I don't want to run out, ever. Since I'm getting great results from using these on some fairly nasty arthritis in my thumb, I'd think they'd be good for sprains, too. I use Helichrysum neat, or mixed with Tamanu; I do the same with Plai. No particular ratio. I'm usually doing it on the fly while working on piano or guitar. These. Oils. Work. Full stop! If I had a heart smiley, I'd insert it here. ;)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Essential oils are very useful for all types of pain .Its is very use and available in markets all types of brand.Argan oil is useful for Blend for twisted ankle.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]