The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Can lotion be used as a carrier? 

Post Can lotion be used as a carrier?
What happens to an essential oil if it's mixed with a lotion rather than a carrier oil? Will the body absorb the essential oil from the lotion? I have an unscented lotion, which I use on my hands, that is rated low on the toxicity scale. By mixed essential oils into it, am I gaining only the scent?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:16 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Can lotion be used as a carrier?
Hi Annette,

Lotion is just water and oil blended together, really...our unscented organic coconut/jojoba cream -- what's in it? 2 oils, water, and Grapefruit Seed Extract. You MAY have a LITTLE lower absorption rate if a small amount of the essential oil concentration sat on your skin longer because the water could possibly slow its passing into the skin -- but even this is a guess; all that lotion goes SOMEwhere when applied, and that's mostly absorbed into your skin, as the EO's would be to. Go for it! :)

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Post Re: Can lotion be used as a carrier?
Most emollients can be used safely and effectively with no side effects. However, burning, stinging, redness, or irritation may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. If your doctor has prescribed this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]