The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Obesity and essential oils 
Post Obesity and essential oils
It is alarming that the numbers of obese people are now increasing. The power of aromatherapy can help them with this problem. Our appetite is being affected by the sensation that we inhale or smell. Once we inhale the scent of the essential oil part of our brain called hypothalamus is triggered. Inside the hypothalamus is the satiety center which is responsible for our hunger and fullness. The pink grapefruit oil is considered to be an effective essential oil for weight loss. Other appetite restraining essential oils are basil, bergamot, ginger, lemon, marjoram, peppermint, sandalwood, vanilla and ylang-ylang.

hope it can help :)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Post Re: Obesity and essential oils
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try as I'm trying to lose weight in a healthy way.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am
you are very much welcome Sue. Anyway living in a healthy is really great to keep us young and alert. Essential oils are great companion when I have simple sicknesses headache, cold, cough and flu. With these essential oils a remain strong and healthy.
By the way god luck to your healthy living..=)

www.innerscent.com

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 am

innerscent, thanks for the good wishes. Whenever possible I make use of essential oils for physical and emotional health and healing. I am not against conventional medications, but I really limit my use of them. The overuse of antibiotics is the reason that so many "super bugs" exist that are resistant to antibiotics. Natural is better... Stay healthy and full of Joy!
Sue

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 pm
nice to here that from you Sue. I am more on using meditation and aromatherapy to immediately treat any upcoming health problems, most especially those simple and common health problems that can be severe. I am not opt from natural and modern medicine for I know both of them are beneficial to human living. What I am doing is try to live healthy to the best way I can ,have my balance diet, exercise, yoga and therapeutic activities like aromatherapy and essential oil applications..

thank you for the info you shared to me. I am learning so much from

kind regards
innerscent :)

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks for this information. Essential oils are great companion when I have simple sicknesses headache, cold, cough and flu.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:31 am
essentialoil wrote:
Thanks for this information. Essential oils are great companion when I have simple sicknesses headache, cold, cough and flu.

So glad to know that our great conversation share a lot of information for everybody..=)

www.innerscent.com

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 am
Site Admin

Thanks for all the input everyone -- but please stay on topic; someone researching how to use essential oils to support weight loss would be expecting to find more information on the subject here.

Yes, innerscent, grapefruit is excellent, and has been shown to help dissolve fat cells when applied topically in dilution. The aroma part of your post is interesting...do you have a strong recommendation of one or more oils over the other for inhalation?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 pm
aside from grapefruit, essential oils like peppermint, bergamot and sandalwood are helpful for our weight loss management, together with proper exercise and diet.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey Eric,

What other oils are known to attack the fat cells when applied topically? I remember ready somewhere about Cypress - in addition to grapefruit - but are there others?

With laughter and magic,
Elaine

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Elaine,

According to Valerie Ann Worwood in The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy

GENERAL FAT ATTACK ESSENTIAL OILS

Orange, Basil, Lavender, Grapefruit, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Petitgraine, Lime, Lemongrass

DIURETIC FAT ATTACK ESSENTIAL OILS

Fennel, Celery, Grapefruit, Oregano, Cypress, Lemon, Juniper

ESSENTIAL OILS TO FIGHT CELLULITE

Oregano, Juniper, Grapefruit, Lemon, Cedarwood, Fennel, Cypress, Celery, Thyme (all), Rosemary, Sage, Basil, Patchouli

A few recipes from Ms. Worwood's book mentioned above:

GENERAL FAT ATTACK MASSAGE OILS FOR DIETERS

Add 10 drops of Carrot Oil to 2 Tablespoons of Almond Oil. Blend Together before adding essential oils. (You add a total of 30 drops of essential oils to the Almond/Carrot Oil Blend).

Formula 1:

Grapefruit - 8 drops
Oregano - 2 drops
Rosemary - 10 drops
Cypress - 10 drops

Formula 2:

Petitgraine - 5 drops
Lime - 10 drops
Juniper - 5 drops
Basil - 10 drops

ANTI-CELLULITE MASSAGE OIL FORMULAS

Formula 1:

Juniper - 14 drops
Lemon - 10 drops
Oregano - 6 drops

Formula 2:

Fennel - 8 drops
Lemon - 10 drops
Grapefruit - 12 Drops

Formula 3:

Basil - 10 drops
Thyme - 8 drops
Grapefruit - 12 drops

This is a great book and it's available at Ananda! You can click on the name of the book and the names of the oils for a direct link to the pages.

Regards,

Sue

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:37 pm
Site Admin

Wow, thanks Sue. Etorrancegingrichm, I don't expect we'll find any more information than that. Sue's very knowledgeable and dedicated -- I'm sure she's dug up all the good stuff for you. Let us know if you have more questions!

Bottom line for me, and I see for many people, is one needs to break their sugar addiction. It's HARD to do, I know, but just a few days away from anything with sugar added and your taste buds (mine anyway) stop craving it. Also, if you ever really want to go for it, Gymnemna Sylvestra, an herb in powder form -- just a pinky-tips worth placed n the tongue -- prevents the taste buds from tasting "sweet" for a couple of hours. You just stop thinking about sugar because the first bite tastes like cardboard. It's really effective, fast acting, and inexpensive. You just have to commit.

Cellulite and weight in general certainly needs addressing from several fronts, so each little change adds up to a big change of lifestyle.

And goodness, if you're going to eat sweets, please look into ways and preventing insulin resistance (and eventually diabetes). Exercise, supplements like Chromium Polynicotinate, R-ALA, and Cinnamon Extract (I wish it were the essential oil, but you need a water-based extracted herb), and pharmaceuticals such as Glucophage. One CAN reverse diabetes with long juice fasts, but better not to get there in the first place :)

There's ALSO several supplements that speed up cellular metabolism, without speeding YOU up; Acytle-l-Carnitine, R-ALA and CoQ-10. These three together have been shown to rejuvenate the mitochondria (power-houses) in each of our cells, so we can have the means to BURN fat (millions of little fires, turned up high :)

Thus, if the cellulite tissue is dissolved with Grapefruit and other essential oils, remember the fat is still in your body...it needs to be burned off; exercise, no sugar, no fried foods -- and a cleans of the digestive system will make a change you can feel -- and when these changes are strong enough, they're easy to make into habits.

Good luck to all!
~ Eric

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks Sue for some nice collection of formulas. EO works great in weight loss. I have heard that green tee also helps to loss weight.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]