The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Taking Oils Internally 

Post Taking Oils Internally
Hello! This year, I started utilizing empty gelatin capsules, filling them with essential oils. One oil that I used for over three months in this way was frankincense. Lately, I have taken oregano in the same way. Very beneficial!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Taking Oils Internally
Internal ingestion is reasonable for sure, so long as one knows that the amounts used are on the order of 1-3 drops at a time, once or twice per day -- and it's generally not recommended to do this forever, instead only as long as one is addressing a particular "condition". This is, at least, the general consensus from therapists that DO recommend internal ingestion.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I have also had succes in taking EO internally. I make a tea using lemon and peppermint oils. I mix a drop or two of each in a teaspoon of honey, to prevent the oils from floating on the top of the tea. Add hot water for a very tasty, refreshing, cleansing tea. I use it when I'm feeling sluggish, or have a cold, or need to detoxify from overindulgence in foods or drinks. The peppermint opens up the sinuses and brings instant clarity. Lemon is cleansing to the liver.

I also take frankincense internally, a drop under my tongue. It tastes wonderful, and helps with depression. Always drink plenty of water when you take oils internally, as they are very concentrated and detoxifying. A word of caution: taking oils internally is only safe if you are using therapeutic grade oils. For ingestion, I am very careful to use only organic or wild crafted oils from reputable sources, such as Ananda.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:54 am

I've done a drop of cardamom for nausea in liquid. It worked great. I didn't have any ginger oil or else I would have used that. One of my shiatsu teachers once recommended one drop of basil essentail oil to help move " cold damp" and stagnation in the stomach/spleen meridian.

I also dabbed the cardamom on a damp cotton ball and inhaled until the nausea passed.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 pm

I ordered some red grapefruit oil from Ananda & want to take it internally for weight loss benefits. How much do I take & how often?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 pm

birdmag wrote:
I ordered some red grapefruit oil from Ananda & want to take it internally for weight loss benefits. How much do I take & how often?

I have taken a blend that includes grapefruit oil, lemon, and orange for similar reasons and they also detoxify the liver. My protocol says to add 1-3 drops to each quart of water consumed. Make sure that you use high quality oils when taking internally. Also, be careful to do a lot of research (or consult a professional) because not all Essential Oils should be taken internally.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 pm

For an allergy attack (itching, sneezing, etc) I've taken Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint in a capsule (I make a 1:1:1 blend and put 3-6 drops in a capsule). It is very effective and doesn't cause drowsiness like the benedryl I used to have to take for these "attacks". I've also swabbed them inside my nose and sniffed if my attack was primarily sneezing or an itchy feeling in my nose. It can make your eyes water a little for a few minutes, but once that subsides the relief lasts for several hours and again no drowsiness! Note, I do not dilute them, but some would suggest that you do so.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm

I have been taking clove oil (2 drops 3 times per day in water) for bacterial and yeast overgrowth. This was recommended to me by my naturopath and it is helping. Tastes nice too!

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Anyone use Ananda's oils in food and drink? I made a chocolate orange smoothie and added some orange oil and it tasted delicious! (Coconut milk, raw cocoa powder, orange slices, stevia, vegan protein powder, and sweet orange oil).

Also thought about making raw chocolate and adding some oils. Orange, mandarin, tangerine, pepperment...

Are all theraputic grade oils (like ananda) safe to use in this way?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:04 pm
Site Admin

Hi...yes, these oils are certainly ingestable, as are most therapeutic grade oils - particularly those that one would also consider 'flavorings'.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]