The Ananda Apothecary Forums

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Super Skin Care Base 

Post Super Skin Care Base
Hi there -
I'm asian in my mid 40's with combination skin. I recently purchased the Super Skin Care base formula to create my own night time moisture.
Do you use this by itself, or add eo to it?

I added some Helichrysum, Sea Buckthorn, frankinsence, and Rosemary vt to it.
My skin became rather rough and didn't seem to like it. Should I be using the skin care base by itself instead? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:17 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Super Skin Care Base
The super skin care base oils by themselves will be very therapeutic. It may be that too much essential oils added to it may cause the negative response. I generally find 'less is more' when using oils in skin care formulas -- The Sea Buckthorn can be used at a fairly high concentration (like 1ml per ounce of carrier, about 35 drops), but the Helichrysum and Rosemary should be included only at about 1% each, or 5-12 drops per ounce of carrier.

I hope this helps!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi, I have some of the Jojoba & Coconut cream base and some of the Heavenly Skin Serum. Would these blend well together and if so, can you recommend a mixture ratio? So far I really like the serum but I do want to have the option of mixing it with a cream occasionally.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:36 pm
Site Admin

Hi Kokoroo,

Most certainly you can blend the jojoba/coconut base with the Heavenly Skin. There's really no "guideline" for dilution, as the Heavenly Skin is already made to apply to the skin -- albeit a fairly high concentration of therapeutic oils. 1:4 might work well, especially for larger areas (1 part Heavenly Skin to 4 parts Jojoba/Coco cream). It'll smell yummy, that's for sure!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:05 am
Site Admin

Yes, many folks aren't aware of the broad therapeutic properties of virgin coconut...anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and highly nutritive. It's just not a glamorous oil, so it doesn't get used quite as much as it should. Interestingly, massaging the scalp with coconut oil has been show to fight hair loss, and Emu oil is apparently more effective, with some using the two together. Tamanu and coconut, though not yet studied in the lab for this purpose, should have a similar effect: it's thought the resultant hair regrowth is due to Emu's anti-inflammatory properties, which Tamanu is well-known for.

The whole base, which is incredibly therapeutic on its own, certainly can be used without the addition of essential oil -- though if you do add EO's, do it in a separate, smaller bottle first and count your drops. See how the concentration you make feels and adjust from there.

The Tamanu is considered by some therapists to "sit on the border" between an essential oil and a carrier oil because of its chemical makeup. It's the only carrier I've found that will irritate my eyes just a bit used all alone -- you can tell from its stronger aroma than other carriers that it has some fairly volatile molecules in it -- I think a pretty wide range, actually, invoking a wide range of healing properties.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]